any tricks for using bigass pc's?

i've been trying out a number of powercords recently. most of these are behemoths. very large diameter, very heavy. i've had difficulty keeping the iec-end snugged up to my pre/dac, which occupies the top shelf of a 4-shelf zoethecus stand. i figure i can rig up a velcro cord holder to take some of the weight off the iec connection, but i wonder if any of you after-market pc aficionados out there might have other suggestions. -cfb
cornfedboy
There are different size cable tie blocks. There techinical name is a 4-way self adheasive mounting brace, I have lots of them at work we use them all the time, if you would like I can put a bunch in an envelope and send them out to you, let me know. I think the brand we use is 3M, like Albert said the mounting surface must be VERY clean or they will not stick, and if you "overload" them they will fall off regardless of how clean the surface is.
thanx guys. i've a drawerful of gb cable ties in every imaginable color and length. use 'em for everything. HINT FROM HELOISE: they make putting away and packing xmas tree lights an easy task. -cfb
Another technique is to use corian two by two samples with an old Navcom isolation device with the sliver ring seated on top of the corian. This works with most power cables. With a tall amp you may need two corian samples stacked.

Hope this helps, Al
I fabricated some support blocks from lefover 2X4's, experimenting a bit to get just the right height. If necessary, file or saw a small rounded indentation notch at the top of the woodblock which fits directly with the cable being supported. Slip it under the cable first, then bottom the block onto the component shelf. The block lifts the cable just slightly as it "snugs" into place, holding it & the cable nicely in place. I didn't even bother to paint the blocks; can't be seen from the rack front anyway.

Cardboard tubes cut to length also work fairly well if the weight isn't too much. Paper towel tubes, T.P. tubes, wax paper or kitchen foil cardboard tubes do the trick, & form their own rounded notch under the cable as they're slid into place. I used to have one under an amp's heavy AC cord; the bottom of the tube rested directly on the floor behind the rack.
These tricks work best with *heavier* components of course.
I just buy a $1 piece of that gray pipe insulation from Home Depot. Comes in 6 foot lengths. I then cut a piece just large enough to fit b/w where the cord goes into the gear and my rack. This is very good b/c you don't have to glue things to your rack and if you change cords or adjust your rack it's really cheap to cut another piece. Plus I use it to seperate the digital cable/ICs from being too close to each other and PCs. PLUS, I use it to keep speaker cable off the carpet, Plus....well for $1 per 6 foot run I use it for lots of stuff! ;~)