Upsampling DACS: Take the Pepsi Challenge

HAs anyone used 2 of the following 3 relatively inexpensive upsampling DACs: Perpetual technologies, Bel Canto, MSB Link 3 with upsampling upgrade?? I am trying to sort out the details of the new technologies. The Perp Tech can "interpolate", while the others do not. I am under the impression that the "24 bit" part of this new technology has to do with s/n ratios aroung 140 db, which is great, but a little useless considering the other equipment in the system. The sampling freq is the part that has me all aflutter, because it seems to be getting closer to analog quality "infinite sampling" if you will... What do you think? Has anyone compared these dacs?? Thanks, gang.
gthirteen
Hi Carl; I certainly hope you don't think (that I think) that your opinions are irrational on this subject-- we're all doing our best to understand it and its significance. You actually understand many of the details of this complex engineering subject, whereas I never will. I respect you, your views, and enjoy your posts. As to this subject; as a result of responses from Jeff Kalt (by Greysquirrel), Theta Digital, and Madrigal Audio, I've concluded that I was totally wrong about over-sampling vs upsampling-- these industry leaders apparently consider them the same thing, and I for one am glad to finally know this. My ego wasn't bruised at all when I found that my perceptions were wrong. As to differences in sound quality of digital components, I'll say again that Theta Digital is probably right when they say "implementation techniques vary". And that also explains why dCS gear may be so good (and so expensive) while others are building "up-sampling" components for a few hundred dollars. I'm looking forward to seeing Madrigal's position paper. Cheers. Craig.
Carl, I think you missed the point about the apology thing. None of us doubt your views on audio, and although we all might not agree with each other all of the time, well, that only makes things more interesting. And yes, you are very rational AND knowledgeable, at least when it comes to this audio hobby. When it comes to women, well that is another story. And I believe it was your remarks about WOMEN that Onhwy61 was refering to when he said I deserved an apology; nothing to do with audio at all. But keep defending your view point(s), and if you read between the lines, you'll see that most of us are on the same page as you.
Ahem. Ok. Guys. Enough. Lets be adults here. Carl is entitled to his opinion, just as we all are. But really, guys, can't we all just get along?? Carl, be nice, too, please, there's lots of good knowledge on this thread, but you keep gettin the newbies all riled up. Thanks.
After reading Carl's recent post in "What the heck is Resolution Audio" I reached the point (that I'm sure all of you have at one point or another) that I have to call a spade a spade so to speak. Carl is full of crap!! At least on the upsampling/oversampling topic he is. He may be even more than that! I noticed he took this topic over to the "What the heck is Resolution Audio" thread and started spouting about things (upsampling) he obviously does not understand. I tried to be gracious on this thread when his hero Jeff Kalt of Resolution audio confirmed to me by e-mail (posted above) that there is NO difference between upsampling and oversampling AND that mfg's were just using the new terminology to draw interest. However, I lost it a little on my recent post on "What the heck is Resolution Audio". Sorry guys (and girls) if you feel I'm polluting the thread with a little anger, but someone has to call him out on this one! Live the good life. Jordan
Jordan, your need to "call me" anything seems to highlight anger issues on your part. It looks like I will be e-mailing Jeff Kalt, and perhaps someone else as well.