"Beginner" audiophile Turntable for $200-$300?

I'm yet another "newbie" wanting to listen to my long-time stale album collection (primarily pop). I don't see myself being a tweaker, at least in the beginning - I just want a "plug & play" turntable, I suppose, for now. I just want to set it up and play my albums - but I do want the most accurate reproducibility of the information on my albums as I can get with $200-$300 (my budget, more or less).

It's the techie/perfectionist in me to make sure that I get a good deal (which means I can upgrade parts - rather than the whole thing...so that I could spread the costs across many paychecks ;-). This is how many of my other hobbies are (Ham Radio, PCs, etc.).

It would seem that if I only wanted "plug & play", and since I'm just a newbie in this, I would go with the less expensive Music Hall MMF-2.1 (which is NOT upgradeable). No one recommends the even less expensive Sony PS-LX350H (or anything from Sony) which is where I began my journey researching this topic. The MMF-2.1 seems to be THE entry-level/beginner audiophile turntable. But, based on reviews and posts, I'm worried about Music Hall's apparent lack of quality workmanship throughout; lack of a good manual (especially for a newbie that doesn't know how to properly setup a more "audiophile" like, manual turntable); and the fact that "just" another $100 (or so) would get me a much better sounding turntable (based on my research so far) that is at least somewhat upgradeable (NAD 533).

The reviews and posts on the NAD 533 are much better than for the MMF-2.1 - and I understand that the tone arm is "basically" a Rega RB-250. In deed, the entire turntable is OEM'd by Rega for NAD and is slightly different than a Rega P2. Based on reviews & posts, I also plan to upgrade to a better cartridge than the one that comes with the NAD 533 - but that's another $100! ARGGG!!!! Oh well, maybe later (I just want very good reproducibility - so I lean toward purchasing a new cartridge before I spend any effort on listening or transferring my album collection to CD - at least for in-car listening).

The VPI HW-19 Jr looks like the ultimate in upgradeability, especially in that it can be upgraded to a full-blown TNT Series 5! But, I cannot see paying $600/$650 (at the minimum, for a used one) right now.

So, I'm strongly leaning toward the NAD 533 for now!

I appreciate any suggestions/recommendations/feedback.

Thanks,

Wes
wlusk5fd8
Wlusk:

You asked me to comment on your consideration of a Technics BD20 vs. VPI, as I purchased VPI to move away from the same Technics. Here's my comments:

Disclaimer: Many here on Audiogon have been involved longer and to much deeper degrees in this sport than I (and some are dealers, resellers and manufacturers), so the most I can offer is anecdotal comments based upon my own limited experience. Also, realize I am a recording and performing musician, and my needs and priorities may be in some ways atypical compared to yours (as well as other non-musician audiophiles).

All that being said, my story: I had for many years resigned myself to the compromise that the only place I would enjoy accurate, musically rich reproduction was in the recording studio. I had never had a stereo that approached the level of resolution and detail that is a given in the studios I had worked at. My stereo (a wedding present) at that time consisted of Infinity monitors, Yamaha receiver, Kenwood cassette deck and Technics BD20 'table. Your basic Good Guys starter system.

I got into hi end by accident, after stumbling into a stereo store while window shopping. I was attracted to the beautiful tube amps in the window. That's when I first heard Magnepan 3.6 speakers, which was a musical (and I emphasize MUSICAL rather than technical) experience I hadn't had before, not even with typical studio playback systems (you other recording musicians will realize why).

So I eventually purchased a used pair of Maggies right here on Audiogon. But my Yamaha was far outclassed and underpowered to drive them. That led to a used Plinius 8200 integrated. Which proved so revealing compared to the Yamaha that it led to complete dissatisfaction with the Technics. (I bet this sounds depressingly familiar to a lot of you....)

At this point my wallet was weeping but my ears were ecstatic. So I came here to the Audiogon Analog Forum for advice. I asked the same kind of question you asked, as countless other threads here have asked, and received the same advice I noted on the other thread you saw...the Music Hall and Rega are good 'tables, but the VPI gives you an upgrade path.

You may not think you're a tweaker now, but my money is riding on you getting the itch after you get into this sport.

So I gotta tell you, the VPI is, IMHO, in a completely different class than the Technics. For me, it's an order of magnitude kind of difference - apples and oranges. So I would suggest you save for a while and go VPI.

Now, I haven't listened to ANY of the other 'entry' tables recommended here. I took a leap of faith based upon the advice here on the forum, and was rewarded greatly.

Also, your mileage may vary:

1) Only you know what you can really afford
2) The rest of your system may not reveal the differences in sources as much as mine did
3) Your listening habits and tendencies are unique to you. I listen as a recording musician; you may not. My choices of genres is extremely eclectic. I have certain timbral expectations from particular instruments because I play them or have played with them for years. I typically listen at near live performance sound pressure levels. I have a large listening room with a vaulted ceiling. Most importantly, my wife of 17 years understands what it means to live with a musician (and my two sons both play instruments as well).

None of this is intended to elevate my expectations over yours or anyone else's...my system is most certainly pedestrian compared to many other's. It cost me what I feel is an exorbitant amount of money; others have paid twice as much or more for one monoblock. Others are far more particular about soundstage, imaging, etc., etc.

All to say I don't know if my comments really help you much in the end. I would wholeheartedly recommend saving and waiting for the VPI instead of buying the Technics now, but all the caveats above should carry far more weight for you than what I can offer.

Hope this helps you to some degree, and let us all know what you decide to do.

Regards,

Tim
I have a simple question for you... I have 2 turntables in the house (one was my wife's before we got married, the other was mine). One is a Technics SL-QD35 direct drive, and one is a Technics SL-BD22 belt drive.

I know both are cheap, low-end models, but which is the better of the two turntables? Since I can't afford a new TT at this point, my plan is to put a Grado Prestige Blue in one of these... I just need to know which one is the better choice. I want to squeeze as much quality out of it as I can.

Thanks for the advice,
Brad

(If it helps to know, the other pieces of the puzzle are a Parasound PHP-850 into a pair of Wave AV8 mono blocks and B&W DM-302 speakers. Not exactly "audiophile", but better-than-average-Joe, I hope.)
Hi Brad- You might be better off starting another thread to pose your question. This thread has pretty much run it's course and a carefully worded title on a new thread will attract the attention of those who may know of your two tables.

On the other hand, you could try your cart on both tables and see which one you like better! If you don't have an alignment protractor, now is the time to get one. a basic one costs about $5-10.

Regards
Jim