VTA Adjustment

Thanks for all the EXCELLENT answers to my last thread. Now another question....what is VTA? Vertical tracking adjustment? Second question, does a Nottingham space deck (with space arm) have a VTA adjustment? The documentation mentions only "playing weight", is this the same thing? The documentation that comes with the deck is absolutely horrible, two confusing paragraphs and a hand drawn diagram. The assembly instructions that came with my 2 years olds bicycle manufactured in china were much better.
mythtrip
Well Ohlala, I didn't figure you really were - or maybe meant to be - an 'analog elitist' (or one of any kind), based on my knowledge of you from numerous other threads. And I knew you weren't trying to put me down for not being familiar with the NA distributor. It was just that it seemed you were chastising Mythtrip for presuming to buy a TT without first being experienced or already having a good theoretical grounding in matters analog. Since he's given us an inkling that 'knows what he doesn't know', so to speak, I didn't see any call to discourage him (or anyone else, neophyte or not) when he comes to the forum asking the right questions. Peace, Z.
vta, don't let all this banter scare you off Mythtrip, like anything else when you don't know how to do something it is mysterious and seemingly hard to do. Let me assure you it is not hard, it only requires patience and the right tools.

You will need a level, a alignment gauge protractor, and a stylus pressure gauge. I have a protractor that has a line running down the length of the gauge about 5 inches long this is handy to check vta reference.

After you have leveled your table set the overhang with the alignment protractor, this is important to good sound. Then set your stylus pressure to the recommended force. After that you put a lp on your turntable lower the arm on to the non-spinning lp, this is where that protractor with the line on it comes in. just place the gauge on the lp right behind the armtube and look at it from the side. You will be able to see if your arm is lower in the front or back, what you want to do is get it so the arm is parallel with the record, this is your starting point. Here is a link to help you fine tune. Happy listening,
Ron

http://www.walkeraudio.com/fine_tuning_your_turntable.htm
Mythtrip, you haven't contacted me as Brulee volunteered :-) but I will add one more thing with respect to VTA. There should also have came with your Spacedeck a short spirit level. Carefully place this in line with your arm on top of the headshell and lower the arm via the queuing device onto an old record of an "average" thickness. You can tell by the level whether your arm is "ass up" or "ass down". For my cartridge, Shelter 501, the best VTA setting is just a cat whisker low in the rear. A perfecetly level VTA is a good point from which to srat. Make minor adjustments up and down to dial in your pickup.

Also, ASL will tell you that Nottingham recommendeds a spindle to pivot distance of 210mm for the SPACEARM. Experience shows that MANY pickups will not meet the null points during alignment if the distance is set thus. After extensive trial and error, I have determined, and Wally of Wally Tractor fame agrees, that the proper spindle to pivot distance for the SPACEARM is 206mm.