optical or coaxial audio cable?

My Sony DVD player has both optical and coaxial digital outputs. Which do you think will give me the better sound?
twitt15aed
You can get a really nice glass ( don't use plastic) fibre optical cable from wireworld for around $100.00. this is not much of an investment. Also, get yourself a decent coax and plug them both in. You should be able to switch from one to the other and you can decide for yourself. I have the Acoustic Zen coax and I like it. I understand the Nordost is quite good, too. You can sell any of these on Audiogon for not much of a loss, later.
After doing some experimentation on my own and talking to a dealer who also confirmed this, i think that most "commercial grade" Sony products work better using a high grade optical cable than they do using a coaxial cable. I found this out after trying several multiple hundred dollar coaxial digital cables on a Sony that i have and then switching over to a DH Labs plastic Toslink cable. The optical connection using the DH Labs cable sounded better in most every aspect over any of the other coaxial cables that i had tried. I am now running a glass Toslink for this connection that was purchased off of Ebay for the "princely sum" of $29 plus shipping.

Bare in mind that i'm not saying "Toslink is better" for all machines, just the non "super-duper" Sony's. Sean
>
It's my understanding that over time, the coax will be the better choice. Glass fiber WILL develop microfractures each and every time it moves, rendering the cable more and more opaque. After a while, its ability to transmit data will degrade. The metal coax should sweeten over time, as the crystals in the wire align. This is all assuming that you keep your coax terminal connections clean and fresh, of course.
So, what you are saying is that all of these Fiber Optic cables that various phone companies are burying for long term use will all have to be dug up and replaced on a regular basis ? Sean
>
I am running both optical and coax from my Sony transport. They are indistinguishable now, but only after I did mods to the digital output circuits to improve jitter. With the right cable, the coax can usually be better, because it avoids the optical to electrical conversion stages, which add both noise and jitter.