Genetic differences in turntable design.

What is the fondamental sound difference inherent to the suspended versus the unsuspended turntable approch.
What is the commun caracteristique that "tend" to remain within one group over the other ?
Will I be wrong to thinck that overall, the unsuspended tt, tend to generate a more compact soundstage with more focused images on it and a thighter bass line overal than its cousin tt, wich itself tend to generate a broader soundscape with broader images on it and a larger bass line overal ?
Comments please ? Thanks
pboutin
The creature on steroids will smoke a Linn--even using the stock tonearm...and the fluid damper.
Sean, thanks, I gather that you're not going out to buy a Linn tomorrow? :^)

Actually, I did like the sound of the Linn for a number of years. But it did have some floor vibration issues that were disconcerting.

I used to be less "PC" than I seem to be now, because I have had alot of discussions with folks here, and they truly like their equipment, and I really don't want to make people feel like I'm totally trashing their stuff. After all, I don't have to listen to it, they do. And if they like it, that's fine with me. I'll state my opinions and preferences, but I try not to come down like a ton of bricks on them, like I used to when I first started posting on these pages a couple of years ago.

What I've found over the years, here on Audiogon, is that I've made some friends and acquaintances, and I am trying to be more careful not to hurt their feelings of pride in their system. I don't lie to them about anything, but I am more judicious in the ways that I say things. I try to "prod" them into moving in a better direction, instead of kicking sand in their faces like I used to do. I don't know if this is better or not, but it can get the same point across in a gentler way. However, if I see someone making a really bad, expensive move, then I definitely step in and say no, because I feel a kind of responsibility in that regard. If they disregard my warnings, then it is on their own heads. But, if I don't warn them, and they come to me later and say, "Hey Tom, how come you didn't warn me about that?" Then it's not a good thing.

It's a fine line to walk. I want to be firm about my views, but there is more than one way to listen to analog, and I found that I have to allow some leeway for personal preference. Some people just ask me to spec them out a package, and I know that they will get a good result. Others want to try certain other things, and if it is not a drastic mistake, I'll let them do some learning through experience. One thing I've learned is that not everybody wants the same thing that I want.

So, I'm trying to walk that fine line, of holding true to my convictions, but being less "in your face" about it. Sometimes, the "old me" comes back out and I do a little "slamming", but I try to keep a hold on myself as much as possible. I think if I do it right, I can get the same things accomplished without "going to war".
Psychicanimal: Dare i ask what your last comment means ? I'm almost afraid of the answer.... : ) Sean
>