VPI Aries vs. VPI TNT III

My 12 year old Sota Saphire will not hold a steady speed anymore, and I've got the bug to upgrade. How do you folks compare the Aries to the TNT III? Is the TNT worth the extra money if bought used? I'm willing to pay a little more for a meaningful improvement. The reviews I've seen say that recordings that are old and not well recorded are unlistenable on the Aries. I highly value musicality. Thanks.
martingabeleb5c
I have owned both these tables in various applications. The TNT has the capacity to sound better if its considerable variables are attended to regularly, which I might add is a major undertaking. The Aries' utter simplicity of design and carefree maintainence often resulted in a clearly superior sound when compared to the TNT in most real world applications. Just something to consider.
Beavis, sorry, hope my response wasn't too obnxious. What were you going to say?

Khrys, I wasn't aware the TNT had considerable variables which require regular attention. I'm lucky if I get an hour to an hour and a half a week to listen to the system and don't want to spend any more time than necessary tweeking it,(which is why I decided against a Lynn). What is required to keep the TNT sounding better than the Aires?
Martin, I found the spring towers on the TNT loosened up regularly requiring frequent level adjustments. My dealer even came out once to adjust the springs. Also I found the tension on the pullies from motor to platter and flywheel seemed to slacken frequently requiring adjustment. The TNT is a bear to keep clean and dust free. I also seemed to need to adjust the arm (Graham 1.5) more frequntly. And the space requirement of the TNT made it much more susceptible to bumps from errant arms (human). All I can say is that I was constantly fiddling with the TNT (maybe because I could?) whereas the Aries just sat there and always sounded great.
Khrys, I appreciate the info. I didn't realize the TNT required that kind of attention.