VPI Aries vs. VPI TNT III

My 12 year old Sota Saphire will not hold a steady speed anymore, and I've got the bug to upgrade. How do you folks compare the Aries to the TNT III? Is the TNT worth the extra money if bought used? I'm willing to pay a little more for a meaningful improvement. The reviews I've seen say that recordings that are old and not well recorded are unlistenable on the Aries. I highly value musicality. Thanks.
martingabeleb5c
I have had a VPI Aries in my system for about 2 years now,I upgraded from an older Linn LP 12. When I auditioned the Aries I also listened to the TNT 111. They both had the same arm and cartridge(JMW 10inch and a Grado Reference)To my ears they had a very similar sound but the TNT was a better tracker and the sound was more detailed. I decided on the Aries based on price and size(the TNT has a much larger footprint). The Aries sound is probably close to 90 percent of the TNT for a lot less money. It is a very easy table to set up and use. Good luck, I don't think you could go wrong with either model, VPI makes a quality product.
I have an Aries and my friend has the TNT III. If you can afford to and have the extra space go for the TNT. Either way you will be pleased. If you cannot fit the TNT in your space like my situation then spend the exta on a great cartridge.
Ljgj, thanks for the helpful information. I'm new to the internet world. It is so cool to be able to send a question out to cyberspace, and answers come back!