Need Help with Plasma Burn In vs. DLP Decisions

I am researching a possible a Plasma TV purchase (brand is to be determined) but I am getting conflicting statements regarding burn in problems. For example, from watching shows with the 4:3 aspect ratio, will I get burn in where the black bars were? In other words, how long can I watch these channels before I MUST change the channel to a full screen display? I have about 12 HD stations but many are not HD. For non HD stations, I was told to stretch to full display but this seems to distort the view. Does Plasma have other usage restrictions?

Fom a cost view point, does a Samsung DLP TV purchase make more sense than a Plasma? My local Retailer is recommending the Plasma since it looks better but many of my friends have purchased the Samsung DLP (50") and like it very much. Any comments on Plasma burn in and plasma vs. DLP would be appreciated. Thanks
hgeifman
I will not have your answers "for sure", but that is a reason I went with DLP also; I was told that manufacturers are resolving the issue you describe with Plasma TV's, I don't know if that is true or not. Some handle stretching the screen better than others, it bothers me way to much!

When you are in store looking at multiple TV's, you are splitting hairs you will never even think of once your TV of choice is home.

If you consider DLP, don't rule out Mitsubishi, they make a great DLP TV.

Who do you get 12 HD channels through, cable?
Hgeifman,

The plasma burn in problem is not what it used to be but you should still be cautious. I did not watch many programs in 4:3 format. I used the satellite stb format to stretch/zoom etc. When I did watch a program with the side bars I always switched stations during commercials. It is only the black sidebar that you should be concerned about. You could try to find a used DVDO Iscan hd+ as this will zoom to your specifications and you can zoom out the otherwise unremovable black bars on a digital ota transmission (if you use your rooftop for local hd).

Hope this helps.
John
There are two issues- one is after image retention--sometimes described as burn in, and the other is uneven phosphor wear, also described as burn in. You are discussing the latter. IN any case, I have used my plasma for over 2 years and the pic is perfect as evaluated by a widescreen reviewer who is part of our HT group. However I dont watch anything in 4:3; many DVDs have bars along the top and bottom however due to aspect ratio and my choice to see the dvd as was intended as opposed to zoomed or stretched.

It is important to avoid long periods of bars in the first 100 hours of plasma use. After that, the chance is greatly lessened for this problem. In fact, no plasma owners I know have this problem at all. Most plasmas have a reverso function- so if it does happen you can essentially wash your screen inside out- meaning white on ends black in middle; restoring even phosphor wear.

The only burn in I have seen is in older plasmas used in commercial settings with static screens, like airports with schedules of flights. Even the Panny Smithsonian plasmas, all three of them show no burn in despite continous daily use of the same material over and over again. Its in the future of flight area by a split open DC-3 with stairs going up.

DLP gives a distinctly less accurate picture- sorry to offend here, but between rainbows, lack of decent contrast ratios etc, there isnt anyway to get that looking through the window videophile picture. I actually dont recall anyone touting DLPs at CES 2005 this year- it was all plasmas, LCDs, and front projectors-- all of which are improving. I also personally dont like the physicial bulk of a DLP, although they are very lightweight ( I do like that).