TV Picture diffenences between HD and non HD

I am considering the Sony 42" WEGA LCD Rear Projection HDTV (KDF-42WE655) but I am confused about the display quality for non high definition stations. Will this TV display the non high definition stations okay or do I have to stretch the screen for full display and, therefore, the picture image will be distorted? What does it look like if I do not stretch the screen? Please explain the picture display differences between the high definition stations and the non high definition stations? Thanks.....
hgeifman
I'm a long-time HDTV user. The best technique, I have found, is to buy a very high-quality component video cable, and send both HD and regular def signals through that. Your cable box, if indeed you use cable for your HD service, will allow for this in a menu.

If you use a mediocre component video cable, the regular def picture won't even look decent (I use Better Cables Reference Silver Serpent, and am trying to find a used or demo Tara Labs RSC Component cable).

P.S.--I have not tried this with DVI or HDMI, so I can't speak to using those options in the same manner.

P.P.S.--On my screen, reg def looks best when you allow the TV to go ahead and letterbox the sides. It does look a little distorted when stretched across, to my eyes. Your mileage may vary, of course.
Well, it all depends on your source, but I'll tell you what I have. I recently purchased a Sony 34" widescreen HDTV. My primary sources are my Progressive Scan DVD player and my Time Warner Cable 8000HD cable box. When I am viewing an HD channel from from TWC it is displayed in all it's HD wonder and beauty and takes up the entire screen. The settings on my TV allow me to alter the way that almost any signal is displayed - I can change it from Normal to Zoom, etc.

When I zoom a non-HD channel I do notice that it is somewhat distorted so I generally don't make changes, I take whatever the cable box is giving me - which is usually the black bars on the left and right side of the display, although these can be changed in the cable box settings, too.

I don't know if all of this info makessense or has helped you in any way but feel free to ask additional questions. Also, if you are planning to view HD content from a satellite or cable company, try to find a retailer (or go to the local cabel company office) and take a look at it. My local Time Warner office keeps a variety of TV's in their lobby to highlight the various options and has a widescreen tube TV prominently displayed.
Good luck!

Don
The option to stretch non-widescreen (doesn't have to be HD, can include DVD, for example) is generally to prevent burn-in on certain sets. I don't believe LCD is subject to burn-in, so I would just display it boxed, whether the signal comes in over component/DVI/HDMI. There are those that maintain that standard definition signals on HD sets look better coming in through S-Video connections, since it "softens" the picture a bit. You might want to give that a try as well.
On my Plasma I stretch the screen to promote even wear across the entire display and to prevent burning the black bar image into the screen (Mentioned above) I got use to the stretched look and it dosen't bother me. There's two ways to stretch the screen. You can stretch the outside or the inside. by stretching the outside everything in the middle of the screen is normal. This is what I prefer. Enjoy your new TV!
Don,
I recently bought a Sony KD34XS955 HD set (tube). Which component cable do you recommend? I'll be getting my HD signals from Comcast Cable. Any good options for about $100 used?
thanks,