Have you "lied" to yourself?

It is time for the utmost honesty. How many of you have made a fairly costly upgrade/purchase and weren't able to hear any difference (even if you struggled, it wasn't very obvious), but convinced yourself the difference was there (to avoid feeling embarrassed/taken, or facing that you don't have "golden ears")?

There's no need to mention the brand/manufacturer, but do mention the type of component as it would be interesting to see whether this type of thing happens more often with preamps, amps, cables, or sources (I doubt it ever happens with speakers).

I'll start. I'm guilty of spending about $600 upgrading speaker my cables and couldn't hear much of a difference.
128x128felthove
Howdy gang - long time lurker, first time poster. Before this bug bit(and he takes BIG bites) I would have laughed if somebody told me they gave 4 beans for a power cord. Well, just plugged in my first Black Mamba yesterday, and in my book, that puppy really flows the juice! Added clarity is amazing - a simple bell "ring" made me a believer. System presence also is definitely improved - and, hey, even if it's all just an illusion - it's only money, right? (And if all else failed, I coulda' gotten by with only the physical "WOW" factor).

Provided the above offering suffices, may I now ask for help? I want to run a dedicated circuit to the system - are there any particular brands of wire/breakers any better than the standard fare, and should the ground be separate from the house. All thoughts appreciated! Best regards...Tburn
P.S. Sorry Felthove, just read your latest and I failed to produce. But in all honesty, every additional purchase (so far) has made a positive contribution. Course, I ain't no audiophile w/ the golden ears, and I'm sure the guys w/ the big rigs will no doubt reach the point of diminishing returns. But I'm having a helluva good time trying to get there! Rock on (the wife doesn't get my new love of Krall, Sara K, et al :-) but Bob Seger is only a button away)
Short story. Way back in 86, boys and girls a small local Halifax dealer had the most gorgeous stand mounted pair of Angstrom Reference speakers. They were to be my first "Hi-fi" speakers. Two-way front-ported bass-reflex they were a piece of furniture, at least to me, and I couldn't wait to buy them and get them home....I had them proudly setting in the living-roon when my nephew came in, set down and we started to listen. "Where's the tweeter"? He asked and walked over, put his ear to the speaker, and said, boy are these dull....I lived with them for about 4 months and finally sold them. The tweeter rolled off way too much....but, gosh, were they pretty...ya, my first big lie, and I had to admit I made a big goof. These were very univolving duds....cheers, Bluenose
If you can not try before you buy.Don't buy.
if you buy before you try Don't cry.
Use your ears man.Listen to people,try out for yourself.Then you decide.
The enjoyments of stereo equiptments stuff are learning from people, searching,trying ,listenning for improvent of your system with less money.Fun Fun Fun ...Lot of fun...:)
Good luck,
Felthove - two problems with getting many responses to your main question. First, a lot of the people on this site utilize the buy-used approach to trying things out, knowing that they can get out relatively cheaply if it doesn't work out. Hence, they don't have the financial incentive to "lie" to themselves. Second, if somebody does search for justification of an expensive, under-performing purchase, it may still be in progress.

I knowingly fall into the first category - can't tell you on the second. So far I've experimented a great deal, but rejected everything that cost any significant amount of money that didn't make a fairly large quality improvement. Since I've bought a lot of the equipment used, I just sell what didn't make a big enough difference to justify the cost and don't think twice about it.

Interesting question, though. I think your wine analogy shows that there are many areas where this question fits. I bought a floor-model Proton television set one time at a deep discount compared to it's list price, but not compared to a nice Toshiba or something. The picture struck me as great at the shop. Over the first month, I realized the picture was pretty horrible most of the time, but I had spent money impulsively and could have spent less and gotten more. It took me quite a while to admit to myself that it was a waste, get rid of it and get something decent. Such is life. -Kirk

yes, i've *upgraded*, & heard no improvements. mostly w/interconnects. but, as i have yet to drop really big money on 'em, i really am not too upset about it. regarding component upgrades, as i usually buy used or close-out, no need to lie here, either - yust sell it & move on. at the end of last year, it took me 4 preamps to finally settle on the right one. sold the 1st three for yust about what i paid for 'em...

doug s.