Have you "lied" to yourself?

It is time for the utmost honesty. How many of you have made a fairly costly upgrade/purchase and weren't able to hear any difference (even if you struggled, it wasn't very obvious), but convinced yourself the difference was there (to avoid feeling embarrassed/taken, or facing that you don't have "golden ears")?

There's no need to mention the brand/manufacturer, but do mention the type of component as it would be interesting to see whether this type of thing happens more often with preamps, amps, cables, or sources (I doubt it ever happens with speakers).

I'll start. I'm guilty of spending about $600 upgrading speaker my cables and couldn't hear much of a difference.
128x128felthove
I spent $500.00 on power cables. Having a hard time justifing that one. But your probably right, if I pulled them out and went stock. I would here the difference. That is the only upgrade I can think of that did not seam worth it.
Rosstaman: The noise hound was the one component I bought that made no difference when I plugged it in. I left it in anyway. When I removed it a while later, boy did the sound degrade. So I agree with Mkaes and KutisJeffers
Like some of the others, i play the used market heavily. I have been able to check out a LOT of gear this way with nowhere near the expenditure levels that new gear would require.

One case that stands out in my mind was when i first picked up a new SS preamp. This particular piece is getting good reviews and is being heavily pushed by several different dealers. I was comparing it to another SS preamp that was originally designed in 1974 or 1975. While i can hear all of the "audiophiles" starting to choke, weaze and spit out their drinks at the mention of a piece of SS gear that it that old, there was NO comparison. The "antique" easily beat it in every aspect. The old timer was much cleaner and quicker, had better pace, more detail, smoother sounding, far more cohesive, etc... The only thing that the "up & comer" offered was a greater amount of bass. Only problem with that though is that the bass was slower and less defined. Needless to say, the "newcomer" went into the "spare components" section that i keep on hand. I wasn't drastically upset, as i had (once again) purchased this piece used for a very good price. Even if i did end up selling it, i wasn't going to get hurt on it.

After sitting for a month ( or two or three ), i decided to give it another shot. If it didn't do well this time, out the door it was going. Just for kicks, i took it over to my brothers house. We listened to his system as it was and then popped the "newcomer" into the system. Same results as last time. While this could be due to the fact that he is running the same preamp that i compared it to originally, the rest of the system ( sources, amps, cables, speakers, etc...) are COMPLETELY different. I figured it was time for this preamp to find a new home.

Out of sheer necessity, i half heartedly tucked the "newcomer" into the rack in one of my other systems. I had recently sold the preamp that i was running there and i figured that i could use this one as a temporary fill in. WOW !!! With the "newcomer" in there, it was the best that i had ever heard this system sound. By a LONG shot too.... NO comparison. Needless to say, it's still sitting in that same spot. Just goes to show that there IS magic in some specific combos. Even if you think "this thing is not that hot", it may work like gangbusters in another system or for someone else.

Cables work about the same way for me. While it may not "jive" in one system, they might work somewhere else. Most pieces aren't really "bad", they're just "different". I learned a long time ago that unless something is REALLY bad and just flat out "sucks", chances are you can find a spot SOMEWHERE that it will really shine. It's just a matter of finding that specific combo of components that brings out its' best before you end up selling it at a loss or giving it away just to minimize the clutter. Then again, having a "clutter" can sometimes come in handy : ) Sean
>
Well...In this hobby? ...Who do you believe?...I did find
that a power conditioner improved the bass sound...I live
in Barrington NH...on a dirt road...and there must be a lot
of power surges...I just keep trying different things...One
up grade that worked out well for me was to connect another
reciever with an aux and connect two pair of speakers...one
set of speakers is only 4 inches from the ceiling...I like
the sound...plus I can control them with balance and tone
controls independently from my main speakers...I can now do
a lot more fine tuning....I can create the sweet spot.
Well...In this hobby? ...Who do you believe?...I did find
that a power conditioner improved the bass sound...I live
in Barrington NH...on a dirt road...and there must be a lot
of power surges...I just keep trying different things...One
up grade that worked out well for me was to connect another
reciever with an aux and connect two pair of speakers...one
set of speakers is only 4 inches from the ceiling...I like
the sound...plus I can control them with balance and tone
control..independently from my main speakers...I can create
a nice sweet spot any where in the room..Tony