Changing Amps?? Are you Sure??

All frustrated audiophiles out there,should heed this warning: stay with your amplifier if it sounds right to you.
I have wasted more money in the last 30 years, listening to the advice of the alternative press. You read "This amp is great, it does everything right". Then a year later, its not on the recommended component lists anymore. Listen people, if an amp is great, its great!! The fact is there are not that many good ones around. It has to be that many of the amps they recommended as great, really were not. They did not survive the test of time, not even a year.The Audio Research SP-11 preamp was just such a product.
Funny , when I sold my Audio Research D-150 amp(1976),to upgrade to the newer models, it was never quite right again. On and on went the upgrades into the hybrids, to the all fet input stages, only to finally return to my D-150 22 years later...mated to my quads. 22 years of wasted money. Anyone else go through this sort of thing? or am I from MARS
frap
If the new equipment is truly better, then it is worth considering. However, it has seemed that the audio press has had its' "flavor of the month club" for quite some time, overly promoting products that really aren't breakthrough products.

I believe that most of us want and will purchase the best that our budget allows, but it would be great to see some REAL advances along with those high prices. While I'm not one of those who will bury my head in the sand and exist with classic gear, I admit that the component really has to impress me to separate me with my money. (and yes, I too have budget constraints)

Wouldn't it be refreshing to have an audio magazine that wasn't influenced by advertising dollars, like TAS back in the early/mid 70's?
Thanks to all of you for your thougtful insights. Thank you Detlof for the points mention. I really feel that audio manufacturers today have lost sight of reality. There was a time in the late 70s,that one could enter a hi end audio dealer and have a list of wants to aquire.Prices even at the extreme end of the market (ie. ARC, Levinson,Koetsu, Beverage,Dayton Wright,etc.)were attainable with a savings plan in mind. Today most manufacturers serve no purpose for the real world you and me. There are exceptions (like Richard Vandersteen),but not many. As late as 1985 a company like Infinity Systems produced the model RS-1, a four piece affair loudspeaker that came in at $5500.00. Today Arnie wants $40,000.00 for the same 4 piece loudspeaker. Sorry, but this is not justifiable for our community. Its no fun if we can never have it.
Mars is getting crowded...but it takes awhile to get there.For me,I've only just recently landed. If the words "obsessive,compulsive,and excessive"are any indicators of addiction then I am a bonafide equipment junkie from the mid 80's to today. Between Stereophile,TAS, and a number of others,I'd devour every review I could find.Have you ever found yourself spending more time on your day(s) off visiting as many different high end audio stores as you can,just to check out all the "really neat"latest "stuff"?How about knowing[at least]as much about a particular new item as the salesguy before he says a word?I could go on...but suffice to say: it is sooooo easy to get completely hooked on this holy grail thing that"newer,better,here-it-is!"becomes a totally consuming thing.How about "get a life?"...I'm often reminding myself of THAT phrase much more often now. Aside from your front- end stuff, I'm not "electronically savvy"enough to understand the legitimacy of "new and breakthrough" technology when applied in the pre-amp and power amp departments but I do trust my ears.. Bottom line to me is, if you've got a great sounding amp(to your own ears) try and be grateful and don't stir things up too much.You can shop features/versatility if you'd like when it comes to pre-amps,but don't get too caught up in that either.Enter your listening room,cue-up one of your favorites,take a few deep breaths,close your eyes,and enjoy a level of sound reproduction that 99.999% of the rest of the world don't even know exists,let alone is possible.Savor it,immerse yourself,and feel LUCKY.