Spectral/MIT

Why do so many people seem to hate this combination. I've rarely read more vindictive posts here on Audiogon compared to reports about other stuff. I listened to an all Spectral/MIT system ( 360 amp and 30 pre) the other day with big Sound Lab speakers and found it very musical and easy to listen to. No HIFI here, but a very easy, relaxed, but also, if needed, a highly dynamic presentation, coherent and well balanced. So what's up? Should I have my ears examined or the Spectral distractors go see a shrink?
katharina
Well I've auditioned Spectral in my house and I'm thinking about buying it, Spectral is the most detailed stuff otu there and it is the MOST neutral stuff on the market. The problem is people are used to hearing Krell and Levinson's bumped up bass and midbass that they think the Spectral is lean, when in reality Spectral is just accurate. It really shows off a speaker and most speakers aren't flat to begin with and people just blame it on the electronics (My speakers can't be the problem no...) Thats why Spectral is so good with Avalon, which is just slighty on the rounder side the "leanness" of the Spectral really helps loosen up the Avalons, and the combintion is to die for. I also find Spectral to be excellent with Martin Logan. I currently have a pair of Prodigys and won't be selling them for quite some time.
I heard a Spectral/MIT/Avalon Eidelon system at Progressive Audio in Columbus, Ohio, and it was definitely the best system I have ever heard. Granted, I have only heard the Avalons once before, but the Spectral electronics seemed to be far more neutral, quick and balanced than the Krell electronics that I have also heard with the Avalons. If I could afford Spectral electronics, I would buy them myself, but you just can't replace one item at a time with Spectral. Since their amps, wires and preamps require the correct matching components, I guess I'll have to wait a few years. Oh, well...

Kurt
kurt: if you really want to hear what avalon eidolons sound like, try 'em with fim cables/ic's on boulder electronics. side-by-side comparisons with a spectral/mit combo will make you think that you are taking off a several layer sheet of heavy gauze when you replace the mit/spectral with fim/boulder. yes, I have made these direct comparisons. more than once. (I own eidolons and have been listening to them in various systems since before their “official” introduction in 1998.) BTW, you need not use “all boulder” or “all accuphase,” etc. electronics with the fim wire.

in response to the original query: i have nothing against either spectral or mit. IMO, tho, there is much better stuff available at the price point of that combo. and if you're considering spectral, it is, indeed, an inextricable combo. that, i think, is why most rational objections to it arise. -kelly
as always YMMV ! the room matters, the speakers matter - the type of cable matters. i have had the best experience of my entire audiophile product career matching spectral pre (dmc20 Mk II) with the SDR2000 and SDR3000Pro with a krell FPB600c, MIT 350 Ref Balanced ICs and MIT Oracle V1 cable. sheets of heavy gauze ? not here. this system is fast, delicate and nuanced with amazing bass and incredible mid-treble and mid balance for voice and strings. the boulder amps i listened to ( in another room) were flat and lifeless through the same sonus faber speakers..