TV Options Terrifying Me. Please Help.

Can anyone help a newbie home theatre shopper terrified of making an expensive mistake? While shopping today, I saw a Marantz (40") and Fujitsu flat panel plasma, HD compatible monitors looking quite good with an HD TV signal and a football game. I DIDN'T like the price tag ($15-20,000) or the cases, however, and found something about the screens a bit plasticky. Am I imagining it or is there something also funny and plasticky about the picture, despite the resolution? In addition, the salesman said that for ORDINARY, non HDTV AND DVD, a conventional tube would have a BETTER picture. He recommended Loewe highly, but none were in stock and the $5500, 38" widescreen HDTV is back ordered for at least several weeks. He therefore showed me a $4000, 34" widescreen Panasonic HDTV compatible set which looked quite amazing with some manufacturer's HD demonstration but at that point I was already a little tired and confused. What is really important from your videophile perspective that will give me some insurance against obsolescence? Is there any major benefit to the plasma screens other than size? If I buy a conventional tube, would you recommend a wide screen 16:9 format? Is the Loewe worth the wait or the premium in price to the Panasonic? Or Sony? And as impressive as HDTV demoes seem, will there be any more than about 3 things to watch any time soon? I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you.
williamjmacdougallc374
I think that flat tv's have a long way to go. I really wanted a wide screen tv. I found that the price tag didnt justify the quality. What I did instead is go with a large rear projection. 60" Marantz. I found it was cheaper and that when watching widescreen DVD's the picture is a lot better then what was offered on the widescreen and the picture is as big. I dont know what your budget is but Farouja has a widescreen rear projection tv at a hefty $35,000. I have never seen it but their products are top notch.
My suggestion is to go CRT if you are looking for maximum picture quality for sensible price (under$10K). If space is not a concern, but you DO want size, go rear projection. My personal opinion is that plasma shows lots of promise--but has a ways to go, and may see significant competition from DLP (potentially a BETTER choice for flat panel). The recurrent problem with flat panels is contrast, and ambient room light. If you have a completely dark room, they look quite nice (as do LCD screens, which are brighter, and becoming more available & popular). However, ANY ambient room light tends to wash out the picture to a degree which is unsettling, and these sets just don't have the black levels to overcome the problem. Additionally, you must face the reality that these sets roll off the line with a certain amount of inherent pixel-death, which simply CAN'T be fixed, can you cope with this? Also, how many qualified service techs are in your area to deal with the set if something goes wrong? Rear projection win the brightness battle hands down--especially the bigger sets (60+") which'll have bigger CRT's inside and can look great even in a room with significant ambient light. Obviously direct-view sets are not an issue in this regard, and look fantastic (I agree the Panasonic looks awesome, but have a look at the Sony XBR, too--it looks even better, if you ask me) but now you limit yourself to 36". If you DO decide to go the rear projection route, before settling on the Marantz, have a look at the Mitsubishi Diamond series (mind boggling colors & brightness, as well as--Mitsu says--the ability to deliver true 1080x1920 resolution, due to its 9' CRT's), and the Sony XBR set, whose detail is phenomenal. Good luck!
DChase, thank you. It seems you have really done your homework. I am increasingly inclined to go with direct view and think the Panasonic looks great, although tonight I saw the new Phillips and I much prefer the glossy black cabinet. Haven't seen the Loewe yet, but thinking I might just take the plunge with the Phillips. Any reason not to? Could there really be THAT much difference in pictures between 3 major manufacturers with virtually identical features, size and price?