Best DVD player in $500-$1000 Range

Any first hand experiences in this price range would be great. My TV is not progressive scan compatable.? Thanks
aw118
Try the Onkyo 525 (or is it 535)? Costs less than $500, but solid build (aluminum faceplate), great picture quality and features, and Burr-Brown D/A to boot. Otherwise, go for the Pioneer Elite DV-05 or 09.
Without progressive scan needs and a limited price range, try to find a Sony DVD SP 300. It is an extraordinary machine at a very ordinary price. Out of production for nearly 2 years, it is a dual laser machine which plays DVDs, CDs, and CDRs. I own two and until these break, each will remain in my various systems. I have three DVD players and I am not kidding when I say they cannot be beat for the money. I search the web looking for these machines for friends. Easily comparable to the Sony 7000 and a lot less money. Mine are not for sale. Best of luck.
Have Pioneer Elite -05. Can get around 500 w/luck. Sony 7700 would be second choice. Have a sony 3300 (?) too. Fine player. Me, I would think about future and look at progressive scans if you don't mind going closer to $1000.
I just bought a used s7700 for $425. You can internet order them new for $575. It find its movie performance to be quite excellent. It's sound is pretty good for movies, ban d 'just ok' for cd playback. The denon 5000 I had before had better sound. I chose it for it's build quality and the fact that it works well with my sony tv and DBS. S-Link and sony's univeral remote make a nice system. I'm happy with it.
What I would do if I am looking for a DVD Player in the $500.00 to $1,000.00 price range is just like someone else has said (I believe it was "Sdcampbell") is look at such websites such as "Audiogon", "C-Net", "Yahoo" and "E-Bay". Also, look at other sites such as "Audio Review" and "Audio Shopper". You may find some bargains on any of those sites. Like I said before, that's the route that I am also going to take. I bought my VCR (a high-end Sony..... an SLV-R5UC) off of the internet and I don't have any regrets either. That is also going to be one of the routes that I am going to take when it is time to buy my DVD Player. The first one route I am going to take is to see whether I can land me either a Pioneer Elite DV-09 or a Sony DVP-S7700 from my local "high-end" Audio/Video dealer first at a close out (being that Sony has already came out with the DVP-S9000ES and expect Pioneer to follow suit soon with their "Progressive Scan" Player (if they haven't done so already))(but I don't know whether or not the new Pioneer will have SACD Capability or not..... I know that the new Sony does) price. If by any chance that I cannot do that (that is get a "high-end" DVD Player at a reasonable price at my dealer), then I will venture to the internet and get my player that way. I know that either my Pioneer Elite DV-09 or Sony DVP-S7700 is waiting for me out there somewhere in cyberspace. And just for the record, my TV (a Panasonic CT-27SF37) does not have "progressive scan" capability either.