who knows about BAT VK-50se's

Anybody have first hand knowledge of this preamp? Tell me 'bout it.
merle
I have had: SONIC FRONTIERS SFL-2 (1995-97); MARK LEVINSON 380S (1998-2000) and, in the past few weeks have made a move into a full BAT SYSTEM (VK-50SE, VK-60 MONOBLOCKS, VKD5SE CD PALYER) The Pre-amp and Amps are absolutely awesome! I just got the CD player today and it needs to "break-in" befoire any evaluation. At first, I was very concerned with the VK-50SE. It presented a very withdrawn sound. After a few days if broke-in...and blew my mind. It is a very musical Pre-amp having the sweetness of thoroughbred Tubes, but, liniarity of great Solid State. My only (minor) hesitation, it have plenty of Bass, but at the very most bottom, it is not as tight a other Pre-amps. Perhpas, this is also due ot the removal of my KRELL FPB 600 (1998-present). The Monoblock Amps are just as great.
My system also uses the BAT VK-50SE line stage preamp as well as the BAT VK 60 monoblock power amps and BAT VK-5 phono stage. I purchased the 50SE brand new about 5 months ago. Out of the box the 50SE is hard and bright. After a couple of 24 hour Purist Audio CD runs - the preamp blossoms into a stellar performer. The detail, dynamics and sound staging are first rate. My previous line stage (a Sonic Line 3) was lean - surprising for a tube preamp. The lean aspect of the Sonic softened up a bit after I changed the stock tubes to Amprex 7308's. The BAT 50SE I think is quite neutral - neither to lean or to warm. Definitely not as warm as BATs other line stages the 3i or the 5i. If your looking for a real warm romantic tube sound - you might be disappointed withg the 50SE. On the other hand if you want a top notch line stage that does not sacrifice any of the dynamic range I think the 50SE is a great choice.
How do you think these two preamps would compare, using the Krell FPB 600 as the power amp, and Eggleston Andras for speakers in a sizable room? I realize the CAT isn't balanced, so I guess that's possibly a strike against it, especially since the Krell works much better balanced.
Unfortunately, it is worth every penny! You might find that your present cableing hinders its performance -- you need real neutral cable, cable that will deliever an uncolored signal to it, and send its fantastic signal to your amp. This line-stage sucks you into the music, in the right system; you stop listening to your system and enjoy the music -- all music; classical, rock, rap, trios, everything. When your cable stabalizes after being moved to put this line-stage in your system, you must go back and play around with toe-in again; and re-evaluate "tweeks" that you have in your system. My system is all BAT also, BAt phono, line stage, and amplifier; all fed with Aural Symphonics cable (like BAT man does at CES)
this message is for tenniswino i have a line 3 i was interested in your comment about the amperex i was wondering if you could line me up with a vendor where these tubes can be bought as i would be interested in earing the diff i was also wondering if you were refering to the gold pins one id appriciate if you could mail me wth your reply tks daniel