How does one get off the merry-go-round?

I'm interested in hearing from or about music lovers who have dropped out of the audio "hobby." I don't mean you were content with your system for 6 weeks. I mean, you stood pat for a long time, or--even better--you downsized...maybe got rid of your separates and got an integrated.

(I suppose if you did this, you probably aren't reading these forums any more.)

If this sounds like a cry for help, well, I dunno. Not really. I'm just curious. My thoughts have been running to things like integrated amps and small equipment racks and whatnot even as I continue to experiment and upgrade with vigor (I'm taking the room correction plunge, for example.) Just want to hear what people have to say on the subject.

---dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
I don't think I could ever get off the merry-go-round because I have always loved this hobby. As I have gotten older though I have tried to simplify my system. I now have a nice integrated tube amplifier, smaller floor-standing speakers (so I don't have to mess around with stands), a high-end cd player and high quality interconnects and speaker cables. I still feel, eventhough I have downsized, that it is important to stay with quality high-end equipment.
There is no getting off! It is like being in the Mafia, (which doesn't exist), once your in, your in for life! If you try to get off the merry-go-round, the Audio gods will strike you with deafness!
Lots of good ideas here. The one I most agree with is the poster who wrote "don't read the mags". He's right. Every time I pick up one of these things there's some ear and eye candy, not unlike seeing some mags with scantily clad and attractive ladies. Don't know about you guys, but that will most definitely put the wrong thoughts in my mind. BTW, look at Musical Fidelity's latest ads for their NuVista: "audio jewelry for the ears and eyes". That should tell us something about their knowing how to pull our strings.
Own multiple systems. Not every recording sounds good on every system, right?. So put together as many systems as necessary to enable you to enjoy *all* of your recordings.

This also helps solve the problem of what to do with leftover gear when you upgrade your main system.

For those days when you need the illusion of simplicity, hide your system behind sonically transparent screens or -- as a last resort -- add an in-wall system to your collection of hi-fi's.

Eventually, we will all wind up sitting in front huge horn speakers from the 1950's listening through H. H. Scott receivers to 78's played on turntables with three-pound tonearms painted brown. But until then, it is our *obligation* as audiophiles to have owned (and kept!) as many different combinations of equipment as possible.

Now enough talk about "getting off the Merry-Go-Round" and return to the "For Sale" section.
I kicked the habit completely for 20 years! Got rid of all my audio equipment; i was buying and selling every week! I doubled up my opera subscription, bought tickets to three Carnegie Hall subscriptions every year, went to jazz clubs a couple times per month. It wasn't completely cold turkey as I am in the music business and listen to music all day long in and out of studios. But the listening I did for pleasure was to live music. And there was no system at home. Now I have just bought a system and all that "live" listening has served me well in making judgements. But believe it or not I still have to resist the temptation to fiddle around. Witness the fact that I am on these boards!