How does one get off the merry-go-round?

I'm interested in hearing from or about music lovers who have dropped out of the audio "hobby." I don't mean you were content with your system for 6 weeks. I mean, you stood pat for a long time, or--even better--you downsized...maybe got rid of your separates and got an integrated.

(I suppose if you did this, you probably aren't reading these forums any more.)

If this sounds like a cry for help, well, I dunno. Not really. I'm just curious. My thoughts have been running to things like integrated amps and small equipment racks and whatnot even as I continue to experiment and upgrade with vigor (I'm taking the room correction plunge, for example.) Just want to hear what people have to say on the subject.

---dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
If memory serves me correctly, the only way off a merry-go-round is through the loss of one's grip. Forces that cannot be seen then pull you at break-neck speeds away from the comfort of friends into the sandpits of despair, ultimately leaving you with feelings of vertigo, dizziness beyond belief.

I wish to point out that some people believe that a loss of one’s grip is what landed them on the merry-go-round in the first place. But, if I may quote our great President Theodore Kennedy, who speaking before the Paris Audio Society in 1910 said, “It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.”
>BR> I think it was delivered to the Paris Audio Society. Anyway, it sounds like it was.
Most here may be aware that the CDC (Center for Disease Control) has decided that audiophilia is an infectious disease. It manifests itself typically in males, but has been known to also affect some females. The manifestation process varies greatly, from extremely rapid infection to slow, almost unnoticable accumulation until one day you realize that having 14 amps in your closet does constitute a disease.
I would bet that the majority of posters to this site will never get off the merry-go-round. While I do not buy into the music-lover versus equipment-lover debate, there are people who simply have decided to turn their love for audio into a hobby. They know that a system can always sound better than it does, and that live music always sounds better than than the home system, so they tweak and trade up in search of the grail (which they full well know is unattainable). Still, for them it is fun, and if they choose to spend their discretionary income in this way, no one should criticize. For some people it's cars, for others it's world travel. For audiophiles, well you know. I spend more money on CDs and spend more time actually listening than anyone I know, but fortunately can resist upgrading my system for around five years at a time....a new amp here...new speakers there. Never have been much for tweaks. So while I've got the bug, it is not a severe case, I guess. But while I've got your attention...can anyone reccommend a good tube preamp with two sets of of out jacks for under $3,000?...just kidding. I 'll ask again in a year or two when I am actually ready to buy one...I can wait....I'm one of the lucky ones...or am I? :-)
djlackey, yer description sounds closest to mine - i'm mostly satisfied w/my system, & generally hang on to someting for quite a while before getting the upgrade itch, & then usually upgrade one ting at a time. changing software helps - listening to lotsa different kinds of music. also, i guess my interests are spread too thin - i enjoy being out in the country, food, & someting that's easily as spendy - or more - than the audio bug: cars & motorcycles. of course, there's the wife-n-kids too... ;~) having other interests helps keep the audiophile disease under control... :>)

regards, doug s.

Is it the result or the journey?

I suggest that most of the fun in this hobby is the journey towards the "holy grail." If some amazing new technology came out tomorrow that provided the "perfect" reproduction of live sound, wouldn't most of us be disappointed that our quest was over? It is that satisfaction which results from an upgrade that keeps this hobby exciting. Yes, we spend ridiculous sums as we approach the asymptote, but it is that incremental betterment of the musical experience that makes it worthwhile.