Who R U?

A while back Garfish mentioned he lked the idea of getting to know some of us better.As no one has started a thread like this before I will take the plunge.I have been involved in and read many heated exchanges here in AudioGon.I hope no one attacks me for this thread saying "who cares about you,this is audio" Anyway,Im 45 and live in W.N.Y.I have never been married but have a music loving 11 year old daughter who lives with me.I have been a nurse for 20 years.Before that I was a Navy Corpsman for several years.I recently became engaged (first time) to a beautiful 30 year old music loving woman.At my age a 30 year old is a keeper and I have never been happier!! My other interests??Im into vinyl,who has time for anything else??
david99
What the heck... I'm 34, tomorrow, and live and work in Tampa, Florida. I am originally from Easton, Pa. but ended up in Florida because of the weather. I sold my snow skis and never looked back. I am married and have one child, Courtney, who is 15 months and it the best thing that has ever happened to me. I am a personal injury attorney and have been practicing for 6 years. I am somewhat a newcomer to high end audio as I became interested about 4 years ago. My wife works for a Dentist who has a really nice dedicated home theater and I got turned on at one of the x-mas parties. I enjoy jazz, rock, and blues. My favorites are Van Morrison and Dire Straits. I also enjoy all finely recorded material. I really enjoy this hobby and like to log onto this site daily. I do not post too often but enjoy reading other members posts. I think I have truly gained alot of knowledge from this site and the regular members. My other activities include golf which I have been playing forever and lifting weights. Since the birth of my child my golf game has suffered and I am not as dedicated in the gym, but I am home more and therefore can listen to my music and my growing system.
Welcome Marcy! Why dont you post more often? Tell us a little about your system.Tubes? S.S.? Analog? Digital? By the way,I got a blazing hot cup of coffee at Micky-Dees the other day and it burned my tongue.Can you get me a couple million?
My system consists of all solid state stuff: Aragon amps, EAD thearermaster pre/pro, B&W N804's, Sony 7000 dvd/cd transport (soon to be RA CD55), Stealth cables. I have actually posted a little more recently. I usually do my audiogon surfing at work so my time is limited. David: As far as the coffee burn; I have a special doctor I would like you to see, and then we'll talk. Marc
I'm a 28 year old Corp. HeadHunter. Living in Phoenix, AZ. now for the last 3 years. But Detroit we orginal home. I'm newly single since the new Pass Aleph 2 mono blocks, just pissed the girlfriend off. HeHe, I guess she wanted a ring. I have been a music lover for a very long time in and out of the recording studio with bands when I was younger but I really only started becoming an Audio nut about 5 years ago when I bought my first Harmon Kardon system and I thought it was the best!! Then I saw Mirage speakers and thought they were the best. Boy did my eyes need opening. Nice hearing from all of you.
Who I am ? One who dislikes fanatics, whether audiophiles or otherwise. I also dislike disrespect and insults, but consider myself free to retaliate when attacked. I don't believe in false modesty, nor in boasting. In terms of sound I believe that at the beginning of the XXIst century solid state and digital are the way to go. Solid state produces the best sound and only mega-expensive tube amps approach the quality of the good solid state amps, which makes them pointless (some exceptional designs are excluded from this generalization, to wit: the Atmasphere, the Wolcott and a perhaps few others I have not yet heard). Also I think vinyl's drawbacks far exceed any advantages it may have over today's good digital equipment --read 24/96 DADs and certain excellent CDs. I don't care very much if by saying this I make some enemies. I would not have such persons as friends who are unable to tolerate differing views (mine or other people's). Yet I acknowledge the rights of other people to thoroughly enjoy tubes and vinyl. And the few who actually have reasoned arguments to defend their preferences I respect. On a different note, I am appalled that more time is spent by audiophiles discussing tweaks than, for instance, room interactions and acoustics or recording techniques. You cannot be an advanced audiophile unless you understand basic acoustic principles (I acknowledge I need to learn more about this topic). I listen to all types of music and I believe there is no substitution for live sound. Yet I love to hear reasonably good sound in the comfort of my home, which is why I have this hobby. Usually its either classical, including opera, or pop/rock, every now and then the Jazz masters. I own about 1,000 CDs. I am not an equipment-phile although I admire something that's well designed. I believe that audiophiles need to train their listening. In my case I don't consider my listening to be past Junior-High School (but certain others who post here I consider to be in kindergarden with aspirations of Nobel prize awards). I have had some experience playing and recording live music. I also believe that being able to describe in words what you hear is not always easy. I hate reviewers who only refer to the emotional impact (e.g. it blew me away, or it rocked). I read every issue of Stereophile and The Absolute Sound but Stereophile bores me, although it has good information. On the other hand, I find TAS delightful, which may be a paradox given my above views. I have degrees in engineering (not electrical) and finance. I have a strong interest in general science and art. My work is international, essentially as a business developer. I am in my late thirties (OK almost 40), I have a splendid family, and made more money that I ever dreamed --still not enough yet to get those SoundLabs U1s and a room worthy of them. By the way, all of my above views are subject to change, as I hope yours are.