Cables ... what's up with them?

Can't quite come to terms with spending significant amounts on cables / interconnects. Looking for moderately priced IC's, I came across Phantom Cables (at infinitecables.com; $100 for 3 ICs). Figured had to sound better than the stuff that came with the cable box and DVR I bought. A marked downgrade in audio enjoyment transpired. Which is true?

Better cables revealed weaknesses elsewhere in the system?
Have to spend WAY more to get real improvement?
I have gritty tastes

Right now I'm sold on the crap that came with the cable box

Ed
ekurilla
Post removed 
I am being nice! ;) I too have struggled as of late with the whole cable thing... I hear differences with different cables when I try them in my rig but the cost just seems a tab bit crazy at times...

I think with cables more than any other 'component' buyer beware is advice well taken.
if you are not happy with your system's sound, no cable is going to fix that.
On the other hand, if you love the sound of your setup, a good cable might make it even better. though it also might screw it up
Elizabeth, you nailed my thoughts exactly. I have used a lot of different cables but none that I would consider to approach the impact of upgrading/changing components or speakers. I do perceive differences between types of cables based on materials and geometry, but of the better made cables I have used (including cables I have made) there have been only a few that I couldn't live with. OTOH, there have been speakers, amps, preamps and sources that I couldn't stand to have in my system. Therefore, in the hierarchy of things, it is my experience to first select and match components and speakers that meet one's listening preferences, suitably position them in a reasonably sized and damped room, provide good power (dedicated lines), deal with vibrations, and then finally consider cables when you feel the need to play around with stuff.
I just replaced the $3 Y-adapters (needed to biamp) with $10 ones recommended by Paul Speltz of Anti-Cables (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQM22FHRD). What a HUGE difference in overall sound and bass in particular! Sound is now worth the upgrades to the Nautilus 804's & 2nd Bryston amp. I've stopped looking at subs even. Still using crap for IC's, but ordered an Anti-Cable set.