Switch to silver for a treble boost?

I like my (budget) system, but I find it doesn't quite have the treble sparkle and 'air' I'd like.

I have the opportunity to buy a pair of 2.5 meter silver core speaker cables for less than $100 (hand soldered terminations, German surgical-grade silver multicore conductors), and was wondering what people's thoughts were on the subject: is it worth switching from my current heavy copper to silver add a bit of treble sparkle?
carl109
Carl, I tried a similar test to get a little more treble "air" and went with the popular silver Signal Cable.
The results were less than stellar. I found the cables to be less transparent overall. I'm VERY skeptical of mega buck cable's and thier supposed differences, but compared to some Nordost cables which I recently borrowed from a local dealer, the Signals just sounded more laid back and slightly veiled. This may be suitable for some but when looking for a bit more top end "sparkle" the silvers failed.
Good luck in your findings
Alun, after a few weeks of the silver speaker cables (locally hand made from "German surgical grade silver" according to maker), I have to agree. The difference from my previous heavy copper was small indeed, but I accept that could also be system related.
The silver has produced a slight lift in the upper-midrange, which has helped nicely with vocal clarity, but certainly didn't produce any extra treble distinction or "sparkle" that I was hoping for.

I would add that these cables (2.5 meter pair) were only $100, but given my system I'd be reluctant to spend more than that.
Carl109, you might also try something with a Teflon dielectric (e.g. Kimber 4TC or 8TC) or no dielectric at all like Anti-Cables.

The way you describe the effect that silver wires had in your system is perhaps consistent with my experience in hindsight. I was incorrectly attributing increased focus and resolution in the higher registers with adding sizzle and "sparkle". For me, more resolution is good, while more "sparkle" is only good if is also balanced with the rest of the spectrum, accurate, and doesn't come at the expense of added sibilance.

Ultimately, a change in gear to equipment that favors the upper registers may be in order for you. Focal, Totem or some other speakers with a bright finish may be the ticket. The English love their mid range, and B&W 600 speaker line, while not as mid range heavy as some, are not as hot up top as some others either.
You mention the 'blanket over speakers' sound. Perhaps it is not due to the cables but to their placement. Tried maple stands? I have padding/carpet over concrete slab and used 2 1/2" maple w/ brass carpet spikes for my spkrs and what a difference. I purchased a workbench from Sams and used the maple work surface to homemake 15x12 platforms for my floorstanders. Have plenty of the wood left for amp stands. Puchased some brass spikes from PartsExprs and t-nuts...bargain upgrade. Not huge...but audible for the better on music/video.