cable dielectric cause of artificial sound

Hi folks, I would like to know what your opinion is about the following issue. About 90% of high-end cable manufacturers use PTFE as dielectric. Many of their cables sound much alike and they have a few of these characteristics in common: clean, relaxed and laid back sound but at the same time very dynamic (though a bit artificially), very quiet ("black background"), very good (also artificially) left/right separation. But I think albeit these traits, they tend to sound "technicolored", "sterile" and unengaging (lacking PRaT also). Some cable manufacturers are using bleached cotton as dielectric. These cables sound different: they have more natural dynamics, a mellower sound, more intimate soundstage, more tonal colors and so on. Are these differences mainly due to the dielectric material used? Why is for so many manufacturers PTFE still the ultimate dielectric for the use in audio cables?

Chris
dazzdax
Dazzdax: I would not doubt that Audioquest's "DBS" system is based on something similar to what i'm experiencing. Without talking to Bill Low, i'm strictly guessing at that though...

Tplavas: I was working with standard "foam" dielectric as found in typical RF based coaxial cables. While the exact dielectric make-up will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, they are probably pretty close. How much this applies to audio based cabling, with many actually using RF based coaxial designs as their core, is beyond me. Given that my testing was conducted within the AF band, i would have to assume that the basic results would apply to audio cabling to at least some extent. Whether or not i want to fully dig into this area is a decision i'll have to think about. Sean
>
Sean,

As far as the AQ DBS system, it definitely does 'something'. I'll leave judgement about it's effects aside for now, since I have experienced the 'effect' on one AQ model only, but I found recently that the DBS system does have an effect on the cable to which it's attached. I had previously owned two 1 meter long AQ Eagle Eye digital cables which I was using from my transport to DSP, and from the DSP to my digital crossover. Having heard some positive improvements in the past by using .5 meter digital cables (I know, I know, shame on me for breaking the "rule"),after contacting Audioquest and confirming that they would make .5 meter digital cables, I ordered two .5 meter AQ Eagle Eye cables through an AQ dealer, who told me they would have to be special-ordered from AQ, who would make them in that length, and then drop-ship them to me.
To make a long story short,when I received the cables and plugged them in, I thought I'd made a huge mistake by buying the .5 meter Eagle Eyes. Instead of revealing more detail and dynamics as I'd expected from prior experience, they were slow, bloated in the bass, and lacking the kind of top-octave extension I was used to from the 1 meter Eagle Eyes. Thinking they needed to break-in, but not really expecting them to ever change enough to be acceptable, I put them back in their boxes, and didn't touch them for about 3 weeks. When I plugged them back in so I could begin 'burning' them in, I gave them a quick listen to confirm my earlier evaluation.
HOLY COW...what a difference!!! 3 weeks of sitting untouched in the box and they'd transformed into tight, revealing, highly-textured digital cables. Since I'd made no other changes to my main system in that time, I can only attribute the huge change to the "charging" of the dielectrics in the DBS field over the 3 weeks they went unused. Apparently the only way to really hear the effect of the DBS system is to listen to newly-manufactured cables, and then wait a few weeks and listen again.
I agree with Tplavas.
The cable geometry makes more of a difference in sound than dielectric types (if we're just counting the big 3: Teflon/PTFE, Polyethylene, cotton). Air is the best dielectric but difficult to manufacture successfully because copper will oxidize over time when exposed to air.
Manufactures feel it necessary to use PTFE because it's considered among the best solid dielectric, they can't charge a high price for an inferior insulator such as PVC.
Geometry such as multiple conductor braids, litz, effect the sound drastically. In my experience, a cable with high inductance will yield a sound that is smoother/warmer.
Elizabeth,

Chris VenHaus of VH Audio sells a 28 gauge solid core silver wire that's insulated with four layers of cotton serve and has a very uniform outside diameter which would make it very good for twisted pairs or, my preference, braided quads.

It's $59.99 for a 25 foot spool.

se
I think people freak out too much about copper wire oxidizing. Unless it's oxidation between mechanical contacts, I haven't found it to be any problem at all. It's only a few molecules thick and I find that much more preferable to a whole hell of a lot more plastic extruded over the wire. Even the thinnest enameling is orders of magnitude thicker.

Some say copper oxide isn't very conductive. Yeah? So what? Teflon isn't very conductive either. Nor the air surrounding the wire. Essentially all the oxide is doing is effectively reducing the diameter of the wire by a few molecules, which is nothing compared to the variation of wire diameter due to manufacturing tolerances.

se