Speaker cable gauge and amplifier power

Based on my limited understanding of electricity, sending electricity through a wire is like sending water through a pipe. Using a larger cable gauge or bi-wiring will increase the amount of current required from the amplifier.

It seems like there must be a way to optimize speaker cable gauge and length based on an amp's current and watt ratings. Lower powered amps would mate best with narrower gauge speaker wire, and a powerful amp would benefit from thicker wire.

Am I oversimplifying, or are there established guidelines based on calculations of current, capacitance, etc.?
jpbach
An example of what I had in mind was the way Naim used to design their amps for use with a specific gauge and length of wire. Not only did they sound their best with Naim speaker cable, the amps could supposedly become "unstable" with the wrong wire.

I understand that they have changed their design so that speaker cable is less of an issue. I guess that most amplifiers are designed so that the cable doesn't affect the operation of the amp. Anyone care to take a stab at explaining that?

Also, if anyone can recommend a good primer on the physics involved in audio, I would appreciate it. I thought I knew a thing or two about how stereos worked before I started this thread.