Cable Costs Relative to System

Since making a spread sheet with my audio system prices, I have been thinking(shocked) about my total investment in cables. My total system retails at $67,000 (Digital and analog front ends included). I purchased all of it here on Audiogon so my investment is about 50%. Of that I have about 10% invested in interconnects and cables and another 10% in Power Cables (Shunyata Hydra included). That's $13,000 worth of wire. I'm starting to question whether it might be more effective to put some of this budget into acitve components. It would take forever to listen to all possible combinations, but would like to hear others experiences with relatively high end systems and cable selection. It would seem to me that the point of diminishing returns would be reached sooner with cables than with speakers and amps. Do most of you follow the 10% "rule" for cabling? How do PCs fit into this rule? Are there any super bargain cables capable of keeping up with highly resolving electronics?
metaphysics
I appreciate the replies, but they still don't explain the apparent affect on the sound of a system. Once plugged into a wall socket, the power cable acts simply as a continuation of the power path from generation to your component's power supply (transformer etc); it isn't a discrete separate circuit as you suggest, in the way a power conditioner or UPS would be. It can therefore at best cause no further degredation to the power supply, but even a decent inexpensive cable will impart little to those two or three last feet.
As for RF/EM interference... yes, they exist and are a problem for low level signals in interconnects. But shielding less than 1% of your power supply chain is a bit like putting sunscreen on one finger and expecting the rest of your body to not get sunburnt.
I'm not trying to cause trouble here; I really am after some genuine evidence. But everytime I read "I spent $1000 on a power cord and Wow!", it sounds like "I spent $1000 on a power cord and it sounds no different but I don't want to admit I got conned by the HiFi shop."
As for my opinion, I don’t need or have time for evidence. All I know, my system does sound different with different crafted power cords. I chose the PC’s that sound best to me no matter how much they cost and technology used. All my PC’s are custom made to my specs and to my liking. That is my preference and decision after testing many PC’s. Therefore, my conclusion is yes PC’s do change the sound of an audio system and each PC sounds different on different equipment. My suggestion is that everyone experiment and have fun and start listening to the art of music.
Joeyboynj, pray tell us how you specify your PCs if you don't know how or why they change the sound.
Hi Carl.

..."I spent $1000 on a power cord and Wow!", it sounds like "I spent $1000 on a power cord and it sounds no different but I don't want to admit I got conned by the HiFi shop."

You're right, it does sound just like that! Some enthusiasts are so ashamed of being so duped they won't even exercise the money back policy many manufacturers and I assume some retailers offer.

We had one poor soul buy four line cords from us and after some time called us to say how awesome his system was sounding. I knew what he was really saying and I felt really bad for him so I apologized. He bought two more. Poor guy must have a real victim mentality that he thrives on.

I apologize to you too. I lied with my brief explanation. Even though a "cable" possesses resistance, inductance, capacitance, has a reactance, carries a voltage and current within a closed loop system, can have a mechanical and electrical resonance, etc., ect. an AC cord cannot be a circuit.

Therefore....

I'm sorry: there is no "evidence" that line cords can make a difference so, of course they don't. Whether by measurement or by ear, such methods of evaluation are completely useless.

Having said all that, I'm just having fun with you. Hope you're having fun too.

Kindly,
Robert
RSAD
I'm afraid I'll just have to wait for someone who does have the time to post some evidence. It must be nice to have endless funds to experiment with many different power cords "no matter how much they cost" and "custom made to my specs" as Joeyboynj does, but many of us need a little more than faith to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a power cord that may or may not do anything to an audio system.

Once again, if anyone can direct me to any research/evidence on this topic, I'll happily be educated and corrected.