Skeletal vs Plinth style turntables

I am pondering a new plinth design and am considering the virtues of making a skeletal or closed plinth design. The motor unit is direct drive. I know that as a direct drive it inherently has very low vibration as opposed to an idler deck (please do not outcry Garrard and Lenco onwners coz I have one of those too) but simple facts are facts belt drive motors spin at 250rpm, Lencos around 1500 rpm, DD 33 or 45 rpm. That being the case that must surely be a factor in this issue. What are your thoughts. BTW I like closed designs as they prevent the gathering of dust.
parrotbee
I want to stay out of this discussion, because it's all been said before, but I wanted to point out, with respect to the argument regarding whether the arm pod moves due to stylus drag, that the mass of the arm pod, no matter how great, is not the major determinant of its being moved by stylus drag. Rather, the major determinant is the coefficient of friction between the base of the arm pod and the shelf. (Think, if the shelf were made of ice and the arm pod was of the mass of a curling stone [38 to 44lbs, according to Wiki], the pod would move easily.) I am not pointing this out in order to take sides in the discussion. I really don't care whether the arm pod moves or not, because I don't use an arm pod.

Second, I must agree with Richard, the Timeline says nothing about whether the arm pod moves. It only says that IF the arm pod moves, the mechanics of the tt (motor/servo/mass of the platter) are such that the Timeline read-out is unaffected. For all we know based only on the Timeline, the arm pod could be swinging around the whole circumference of the platter as if tethered to the platter, and the Timeline won't tell us this is happening unless the motor/servo/platter is not up to overcoming the resulting drag (call it "arm pod drag"). This is as obvious to me as is the opposite view to Halcro.
Halcro
I must be dreaming.......

let us know if you hear the song - I Got U BABE when u
wake up .....

Lewm

(call it "arm pod drag").

LOL - Good one Lewm. Learn something new every day.

Kind of sounds like a new dance to me ? Ok everybody
off your asses and onto the dance floor, Lets all do the
arm pod drag ....

You shuffle across the floor with the front leg leading
(closest to the TT)).... the back leg dragging...
Chris.

I re calculated the train thing.
Assuming the following
Make it a 100gm sticky snow ball traveling directly towards the train at 100 KPH, to make things easier.
Make the train, 1000 tonnes, also traveling at 100 KPH
The snow ball hits and sticks to the front of the train.

The train will slow to 99.99998 KPH, more or less. I accept that I may have an extra or too many 9's

Conservation of momentum.

You did ask!

Re the pivoted arm/speed question. It makes sense, since the arm is moving forward relative to the radial line for some of its travel across the record.

"The song, I got U BABE".
My dreams, shall we say, are usually more exciting in content.

Cheers.
Poem. By Henry Gibson

Was a man named Henry, poor fellow
His tonearm pods were made of jello
They slipped around like on ice
Watching them twirl was quite nice
But his music still sounded like it was supposed

Peace,