Remove your bias for better sound

I have a VPI Superscout rim drive and Classic platter, with VPI 10.5 arm and a Benz LPS cartridge. I had been using the anti-skate gizmo for some time, with only a minimal amount of exertion on the arm. I removed the gizmo, remounted the counterweight, just to try listen without the anti-skate. Much to my pleasure, the sound is much better with increased dynamic contrasts, cleaner mids, and more ease with the highs. I don't find that tracking is any less than with the gizmo installed. I recommend that all should try it. With the device still on the arm, but disconnected, there is only a very small increase in sound...remove the whole thing.
128x128stringreen
I agreed with VPI arm that no anti skating is by far the best option. However, for example my Reed 3Q arm, it does sound best with anti skating. With Air Tight PC-1 supreme, quite a lot of anti skating, with Lyra Atlas, a bit less but both sounded better than with no anti skating.
I don't think you can generalize this to every tonearm/cartridge combination.
I have tried the VPI anti skating mechanism. I have also used the wire twist method. Harry states that very little AS force is needed for the 10.5 arm. I found that the VPI AS mechanism exerts too much force even at its lowest setting. I use 1 single twist of the tonearm wire. I find this to be the best solution for my setup. Yours may vary.
I have tried the VPI anti skating mechanism. I have also used the wire twist method. Harry states that very little AS force is needed for the 10.5 arm. I found that the VPI AS mechanism exerts too much force even at its lowest setting. I use 1 single twist of the tonearm wire. I find this to be the best solution for my setup. Yours may vary.