What is approx. percentage of your total

record collection do you actually listen to? I am particularly interested in those with collections numbering in the thousands.
hiendmuse
Sometimes I'll close my eyes and run a finger across a shelf of LP's or CD's, and randomly stop. Then I'll play that particular album, and, quite often, say to my self...."....Self, that was great. I forgot I even had that album, and I just really enjoyed it !"
Actually this is an interesting question.

The whole notion of "in rotation" is a bit foreign to me. When I buy new records, I guess you's say they stay in rotation until I have a firm grip on the music, then they go on the walls.

Later I'll get an "enthusiasm" such as listening to a specific composer or a specific artist or conductor and then I'll drag out all of their stuff that I've got in my collection and start playing through until the enthusiasm wears off, or a new one comes. Sometimes the enthusiasm is driven by a recent live performance, or a new acquisition. But frankly, I rarely repeat an LP in a year.

I mean, listening to records 3-4 hours a day, how many records can you really listen to? Let's say I listen 6 days a week, 6 records per day. So that's maybe 1500 or so unique records in a year, since I'm traveling some too. My collection is only 3,000 or so, so I guess I'm listening to about half of it, but I'll bet there's stuff there I have not heard in 10 years or more.

thanks for asking. Fun to think about!