Turntable speed accuracy

There is another thread (about the NVS table) which has a subordinate discussion about turntable speed accuracy and different methods of checking. Some suggest using the Timeline laser, others use a strobe disk.

I assume everyone agrees that speed accuracy is of utmost importance. What is the best way to verify results? What is the most speed-accurate drive method? And is speed accuracy really the most important consideration for proper turntable design or are there some compromises with certain drive types that make others still viable?
peterayer
Halcro, another way to do it is with a stopwatch if you are fast enough. The motor should be able to accelerate the platter from 0 to 33.33 rpm in less than 3.6 seconds. So you could start the laser then start the motor and stopwatch and time it until the laser spot stops moving.
Tonywinsc,
Your explanation makes a lot of sense to me....especially with my experiences with DD turntables compared to belt drive.
I'll try your experiment with the one revolution......although I'm not quite sure what it proves?
It will show that the designer used a motor with sufficient torque to maintain a stable speed.
Keep in mind that the effect of the vinyl record runout is worse at the inner groove. As the needle is further out from the spindle the radius of the runout is proportionally smaller so Wow will be less at the outer groove of the record. So effectively another problematic issue when playing the inner grooves of records. Does anyone notice a rhythm/timing difference in the music from the outer to inner tracks?
Henry,

you made a good point with the Timeline & the Nakamichi. The red signal keeps stable even when the needle runs down on the record. Ths is an advantage of the DD design (and I have to correct myself - no manual speed correction is necessary on all my TTs).

Tonywinsc,

if we start a competion by using a stopwatch I might win with the EMT ;-)

Frogman,

you are right, precision control is the one thing but musicality and a sonic footprint is the other one. Therefore I find it hard always following the neutrality apostles in our community - but there are not so many in this thread. Am I right?

best @ fun only