Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Thekong, I have put the question to Bill Thalmann, 3 days ago. When he does respond, I will relay the information. I am pretty sure the SL1600 was a candidate, but let's wait for confirmation.
Apropos of the recent mention of how the reverse servo works to stop the platter of the TT101, when the "stop" button is engaged, I just noticed that when the platter mat is off the platter, the platter does exhibit a little counter-clockwise movement when stopped. WITH the platter mat in place, the platter comes to a dead stop when stopped. This fits exactly with what someone said above (Thekong, Harold, Halcro???), that there must be an adjustment to accommodate the precise weight/rotational mass of the platter + mat, to make the STOP button work exactly right. Thus I also suspect that if one were to use a mat that is heavier than Victor intended, the platter also would not stop exactly on a dime. This makes me worry/wonder whether the reverse servo would also need adjustment to make it work properly during LP play, in response to stylus drag, etc, with a heavier than OEM mat. I am going to stick with the OEM one for that reason, at least at first.
....there must be an adjustment to accommodate the precise weight/rotational mass of the platter + mat, to make the STOP button work exactly right.
P.22 of the TT-10 Service Manual.....
D. Quick stop adjustment:-
* With the turntable mounting two 30 cm LP records rotating at 33 1/3 rpm, depress the stop button, then adjust VR647 until the turntable stops without reverse movement.
* Set the turntable to 45 rpm and mount a 30 cm LP record (approx. 200 gm) then adjust in the same manner using VR646.
* Confirm that the turntable without a record and running at 33 1/3 or 45 rpm is stopped by the quick stop after slight movement forward.
So by using any weight of mat desired....one may adjust the Quick Stop mechanism by way of the two variable resistors as Banquo mentioned earlier.
This Quick Stop mechanism is independent of the platter speed and servo controls which can be easily verified by checking the speed consistency and accuracy with a variety of mats using the Timeline.....
Halcro, I think the important point you made by quoting the manual is that my concerns about a heavy mat upsetting the servo are unfounded, up to a point, I am sure. There will be some weight of mat that screws things up, but you can probably get away with heavier than OEM ones. Thanks.
Just to add a bit of info to the reversal discussion. My platter (actually two layers: the bottom is a Merrell lead sheet, spray adhesive attached to a thick Acromat-by-Funk hard foam mat) plus the lightest TTWeights perimeter ring and the Michell delrin center press all add up to 3 pounds 1.5 ounces. This is just a bit more than three times the original mat which weighs in at 15.6 ounces.

Needless to say, my platter doesn't reverse on stop, nor does it stop. But I see no deterioration from using a substantial bit of weight on top. I have used the combo for quite some time.