ZYX cartridge looking for advises

I did my homework already, was trying to get an answer on many Audiogon forum places, but still few things to clarify. I know how busy you are, would appreciate for helping.

I am looking to buy Airy 3, low output, copper coil, with SB.
Would VPI Classic or Airy with JMW10.5i be sufficient to handle this cart properly (I read that JMW 9 is considered as underachiever for this)?
Would it be “mandatory” to get VTA on the fly, I know you are a big fan of adjusting VTA for each disk/play?

How to be sure that cart is brand new and the blue ZYX securing tape was never removed and reinstalled back/glued or so, how do the original blue secure tape ends are connected together, any kind of thermal press or so?

I would appreciate for your comments.
rokokono
I know I am chiming in a little late on the topic, but I have had a ZYX airy 3x-sb low output cart for years now. For the first 2 years I had it on a vpi scout with jmw9 arm and it worked pretty well. I then changed to an origin live resolution/ encounter tt/tonearm set up and I realized that I had never heard what the ZYX was truly capable of while it was on the scout combo.
I would urge you to look at the origin live arms and tables if you truly
have your heart set on a ZYX cart. These are very very finicky demanding cartridges that must be set up just so and I would argue that they can't be fine tuned properly on a unipivot arm. Don't get me wrong, it will still sound good. Maybe very good. But you won't hear the detail and micro dynamics that this cart is capable of. Nothing against the vpi products. I think they're unbelievably good, but you should stick with a dynavector or sumiko or sound smith cart if you're going the vpi route and save your money.
Firstly, to make you aware, I'm a ZYX Airy 3X SB Zn owner.

Yep, I bought mine from Mehran about 3 years ago.

I know VTA on the fly is a very nice feature to have on an Arm. Is it absolutely paramount that the arm has this feature, that the Airy 3 will not produce suitable-accecptable sound. IMO, no.

It is true with any good cartridge though, the better the Arm, the better the cartridge can perform. I think you will find that compatible mass between arm-cartridge, and proper VTF will be more critical with this cartridge, to attain its best sound.

Do not sweat wondering, or worrying about somehow getting some used, or demo gear from Mehran, it just isn't going to happen. You can trust this cartridge will be a factory fresh, untouched example from the factory's hands, to yours.

Typically from Mehran, the ZYX will come in a Silk Drawstring Bag. Inside this Bag will be the ZYX Box, and within this Box is a Wooden Box-Tomb, with a Clear Lexan Lid that is taped shut-secured on two sides by ZYX Factory Blue Tape. This tape must be peeled away before the entire Cartridge retaining assembly can be lifted out of the Wooden Box. The owner's manual-paperwork will be packed seperately, as it's too large to place in the Box.

The Retaining Assembly that lifts out has four support beams, and the Cartridge is affixed-secured to the Bottom Plate of this Assembly. It is there you will note the little blue Seatbelt that helps retain the Cartridge, and it's Clip On Stylus Guard. You must first go to the underside of this Bottom Plate to peel the little "Seatbelt" away from the Stylus Guard (which is facing up inside the box)

Leave the Stylus Guard on during the entire removal from case process. Then you can remove the two retaining Screws that hold the Cartridge to the Bottom Retaining Plate while you hold the Cartridge Body between your fingers.

It will also be wise to leave the Stylus Guard on during the entire mounting process. Only when you are ready to do the alignment with this Cartridge with a proteactor, set VTA, VTF, Azimuth, Zenith Angle, should you then remove the Stylus Guard. It is a very nice touch that this acessory comes with, as there are so many MC Cartridges that do not have this feature.

If you are opting for the SB option, which designates the pure "Silver Base", you will note that the Silver Base will look relatively pristine, without tarnish. In time though, once it is exposed to air, the Base, because it is a pure silver plate will begin to tarnish. This is the nature of the material. It cannot be helped.

I strongly doubt that you'll have any small doubts about it not being a factory fresh model. Mehran has a highly regarded reputation as a fist class audio dealer, he's one of the best out there.

You will smile when you see this cartridge, it looks like a little glass jewel. Very beautifully made. And you are really going to smile when you hear the sound that comes forth from such an exceptional, stunning cartridge.

I'm very glad I bought mine, it is truly an awesome piece of equipment! Mark
Markd51, thanks for your excellent feedback, that was the information I was looking for.
I use an Airy 3 SB with my VPI Classic. Before purchase I asked VPI if it was compatible with the Classic. They gave me an enthusiastic "yes". It takes an effort to dial in but once it is in the groove it sings very nicely.

I love the ZYX sound. It will take a lot to make me switch carts.

@ Bnrlaw: The Classic even with the standard 10.5 arm is a big step up from the Scout (I have owned both)
Davems, thanks for sharing your experience.
I am settled already on Airy 3 X-SB.
The last thing I need to decide - is it VPI Classic or Airy will be my ZYX cart "carrier"?