Where is the next generation of direct drive?

Are there any good DD tables worth looking into? So much progress has been made with belt-drives, I would like to believe a careful re-thinking of DD motors could produce something worthwhile.
cocoabaroque
Hiho,
I too read that paragraph from Art Dudley, and it soured me on his opinions. For a guy who favors vintage or vintage-sounding equipment in general, and who otherwise writes so well, I thought it was inexcusable. For Pete's sake, he uses a TD124 which with all due respect to its owners relies upon BOTH a belt and an idler to drive the platter, and here he is preaching about noise from a direct-drive! I really think the quote shows that he too does not or did not understand how a dd turntable works. Perhaps he has since been enlightened.
Has anyone heard the Teres Certus? As far as I know, the price is palatable (less than $20,000?) compared to that of the NVS and some of the others. It's kind of been swept under the rug with the influx of other newer products.
Sonofjim,
A DP-100M just went for $10k on Yahoo Auction tonight. Someone got lucky. It is not the cleanest one out there but it came with a few extra armwands - very tough to find.

Lew,
I agree Art Dudley's position is bewildering given what he uses.
Hello everyone,

What a nice thread. I would like to know in which library all those guys that are so critc of DD technology pick up their technical foundations.
IMO they fail to know that our civilization to accomplish its most demanding projects in infinite rotational applications uses DD systems = ALWAYS.
Nanotech., silicon wafer manufacturing, high precision optics, laser systems they all use direct driven technology
with either air or hydrostatic bearings.

http://www.aerotech.com/products/stages/abrs.html
Cabbiendi-- overcoming motor cogging in DD is an issue as massive platters don't seem to be enough for most turntable designs. I believe belt drive motors with faster RPM set up their own rapid vibrations, which are either less detectable by human ears compared to a slowly-rotating motor, or possibly add pleasant distortion that makes music more satisfying. The belt also absorbs some of the vibrations.

It should not be too difficult to design an experiment measuring perceptual, audible differences between the two designs on the same chassis/plinth.