Garrard 301-Worth the effort?

A friend very generously gave me his Grandfather's Garrard 301 to restore or sell. It's not in bad shape, but won't play yet as it looks like it needs a new idler wheel and spindle (so far). I'm not crazy about the tonearm (Garrard with unknown Shure Cartridge) or plinth (plywood box). My dilemma is whether it's worth the effort and money to fix or would I be better off selling it and putting the money towards something new, possibly a VPI classic with a better tonearm? I currently use a Harman Kardon T-65C with a Grado Statement Sonata II and am very happy. But maybe I don't know any better. I've read great things about the 301, but I'm more into the music than collecting antique pieces.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
heyraz
Aesthetically, the Artisan Fidelity stuff is really ugly to me. Its proportion, gloss, and dimensions are all so tacky to me. Your mileage may vary.

Why does the damn thing has to be so damn thick? Yuck.

_______
Hiho, It's well documented that the best designs of Lenco plinths (check Lenco forums, various audio forums all over the web) usually call for super high mass plinths which use certain materials (like various plywoods and other materials). This is why the nantais and artisan Lenco's plinths are so huge.

Btw, if you think the Artisan tables are ugly because they have glossy acrylic clear coats, auto grade finishes and are well polished, then what in the world IS good looking to you? A jank rough unfinished wood plinth having jagged edges and splinters?? Geesh...

You must own a top of the line Rockport or Goldmund Reference 2 to have fit and finish standards so high.
I do believe that mass matters in certain designs, and I also agree that proportion counts for a lot. I suppose it comes down to how the best case scenario is accomplished.

A high mass plinth can be designed, so that its visual features are attractive by leading the viewer's eyes in a desired direction while achieving the result needed to meet the physical requirements of mass. It is a daunting task to do both, however. That's why you see so many clunky turntables out there, in my opinion. Then again, look hard enough and you will find some very pretty ones.
In contradistinction to Jeremy's observation, I went from a Jean Nantais wood plinth using a stock Lenco chassis to a Lenco in slate cum PTP top plate, and I think the latter is somewhat superior sounding in every way. It is more neutral to my ears. One can always add flavoring via one's choice of tonearm, cartridge, phono stage. I prefer my tt to be as neutral as possible.
Hifi in general is subjective and comes down to personal preference. I personally felt the Slate plinths with the Lenco were cold and sterile, lacking tonality and emotion. I can see why you would want your turntable to be as neutral as possible, it makes sense. One thing is for sure, this is not a "one size fits all" hobby....ymmv as they say