What are

I am slowly getting back into vinyl. I have purchased several LP's that are 180 gram. What makes these better than a standard LP? What is the best LP as far as manufacturer and label? A friend came over recently and was talking about different companies pressing the same LP-but some are better than others. I'm also embarrassed to not know there are 45 rpm albums out there. I know the faster "tape" runs, the better the frequency response. I assume this is why 45's are better and if so, why are there not more of them out there.
handymann
I agree with Misstl that the greater mass of the LP record is no garantee for better sound ('speaking' from experience). I most enjoy listening to the Decca/London Phase 4 Stereo records.
If you're into jazz, I've been very happy with the Blue Note re-issues. They average $12-15 each, and sound quite good. They're probably more for music lovers (like me) than for die hard audiophiles. They are not 180 gm. and not 45 RPM. Just normal vinyl albums with outstanding music. Good Luck, and Happy Listening !
Records are a real "crap shoot". If you're a music lover, it's not half bad; but if you're a finicky "analoger", you got problems.
I sgree with Amateur: I own a couple of "regular" London Phase 4 and ffrr label records that I picked up in the 70s. Just terrific playback quality and resolution. Other decent labels are DG and Angel.
I don't find 180 gram or 45 rpm LPs to necessarily sound better. In fact, most don't sound as good as the original pressings. It is really no different with any other format, if the guys making the recording are good we benefit. If they are mediocre we pay for it. It is the same for 33 vs. 45 rpm, IMO. If done right it can sound much better, but it is not a guarantee. Some people hate 45's because you have to get up and change sides more often. YMMV.

I always look for the original pressings. I don't mean low pressing numbers necessarily, just how the LP was first released. Here, the rule of thumb about getting pressings from the country were the lp was mixed has worked pretty well for me. The re-releases are ok for filling in those LPs that are not easily found or can't be found or can't be found for a reasonable price.

I guess what I'm getting to is that if you develop an effective cleaning technique, which you do need to do for new vinyl anyway, you can acquire much more used vinyl quicker and for a lot less money. There are exceptions, but for the most part these heavy vinyl, faster rpm re-releases are marketing gimmicks, IMO.