Nude Turntable Project

I could not fit the whole story in this Forum so have had to add it to my System Page.
I am attempting to hear if a 'naked' DD turntable can sound as good as Raul claims.
Please click the link below to read the story.
NUDE TT81
128x128halcro
Sounds like I was wrong in assuming the app measure EMI and not magnetic field strength, as "Gauss" is a unit of magnetism (but it might also be a unit of measure for EMI; I need to check). I have no evidence that magnetics is any problem with L07D or SP10 Mk3, the latter of which has a humongous magnet and a very powerful motor. Anything ferrous will block or absorb magnetic forces. When you did your measurements, was the TT101 fully assembled and running? Did you compare with and without the "pants"? Possibly blocking magnetic field from the transformer or motor is the primary or a secondary function of the pants, since we do know they are ferrous. ("Old Ironpants.")

The discussion of the awesome Final Audio tts and their relatives brings to mind another audio conundrum. Does a tt need a massive heavy platter to reproduce extreme low bass? Halcro may have an opinion on this, since he is running his TT101, which has one of the lightest platters I have seen on a TOTL DD tt, vs the Raven tt, which has a typical massive platter associated with the high end belt-drive tts. Henry, do you perceive a difference in bass reproduction between the Raven and the TT101? If so, in favor of which tt? Thanks.
Aigenga, looks be just a iphone app. I have a droid OS, was thinking if others do try it would be best to use same software. Have to say I would be skeptical of accuracy of an app for this application. The one I tried was finicky.
FWIW, "Gauss" are a unit of magnetism. EMI is measured either in Volts per meter or Watts per meter-squared.
I can't vouch for the app but the phone has a compass in it which has to be a magnetism detector. So if the app tells me that there is a concentration of magnetic field in certain places and if it is consistent in that reading across multiple tests under varying circumstances then I must believe that it is so. Likely the absolute measurements are not to engineering standards but I am not using the numbers only the relative magnitude of the readings at various spots around the TT.

I don't know if the strength of the field rises to a problematic level - might be cartridge dependent. I also don't know how a problem would present: noise?, loss of detail or dynamics due to magnetic interference? Maybe I'll be able to fix the situation and maybe I will hear a change. I'm skeptical that I will. Gary