Changing from an XV1-S

Hi All

I'm considering (read hankering) for a new cartridge. I have been using a Dynavector XV1-S for a while now and although it really is good I feel that other manufacturers have overtaken this recently with units that cost a 'tad' less.

It's going on my VPI Classis/ 10.5 and the new Whest PS.30RDT Special Edition/ Conrad Johnson ART MK1/ Levinson 331 Poweramp/ JM Lab Scala Utopia. The general sound from the system is excellent to bloody brilliant BUT having just heard an Ortofon Cadenza Black in the system I am led to believe that the XV1-S technology is 'getting on'.

A friend has recommended the Ortofon A90 or Lyra Titan.
Is there anything else I should look at?

My musical tastes are wide BUT do not include Opera, Classical or choir. I like vocals but love instumentals.

Thanks for your help - if I get any :)

dcarol
SLS has been around for several decades, but this is the first application in cartridge chassis building. Maybe even in audio, but I don't think Ortophon has discovered Warp Drive. What is interesting is that the shapes of the A90 and XV-1s have some similarities when viewing the side profile. I have heard nothing but good about the sound of the A90 and look forward to hearing one in Thom's room at RMAF.

I recently heard an Orpheus L, thanks to Sunnyboy1956. We didn't have time to do an A/B with my XV-1s but it was obvious to me that I could live with this cartridge. It is an excellent tracker, retrieves the finest details and has a character I like.

I'm not really sure why we were "asked" about this move. :-) Seems like the answer was pre-determined.

I don't think it's that simple Stickman.

Given the other system components, most notably the phono preamp, are capable of resolving the "better" cartridge, I believe it's safe to say that any of the 3 would provide a noticeable level of improvement to my ears. OTOH I can think of other cartridges (all more expensive than the 20X) that wouldn't float MY boat.

Again and I don't want to beat this to death but cartridges, like speakers and cables, are very listener dependent.

One man's ceiling is another man's floor as the song goes.
I understand, it's not that simple. I was being a little facetious...

This does show I think, how challenging and frustrating it can be to move to a new cartridge. I guess that you have to rely to a great extent on your dealer's expertise and experience.

Of course, my dealer really likes the Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua...ARGGGGGGGGGGGGG
I think it is an adventure to buy a new cartridge , imagine all the different designthoughts implemented in the different "top" contenders , they all put a different shade on the music and can bring different views as to what is "right " reproduction of music .
I have not heard many heartbreaking anlogue set ups at dealers in holland ,i dont know how that is in the states , I would definetely trust your own ears not a dealer, a lot of them would sell the one with biggest margin on it i reckon.

I heard the hovland has a fine mc/mm stage in it