Azimuth and the Fozgometer

Finally received the Fozgometer after a 2 month backorder. In the past I have always used a loupe and a front surface mirror to set the azimuth on my Tri-Planar with Dynavector XV-1S cartridge. According to the meter, I was very close to a correct azimuth. I wasn't prepared for the effects that a very slight adjustment would make. Nailing the azimuth has brought my soundstage into tight focus. I have never experienced this kind of solid imaging in my system.
I know that the $250 price tag is a bit steep for something that won't get a lot of use, but this is not a subtle improvement. There are other ways of measuring azimuth, that I am not very familiar with, but I would doubt that they are as easy to use as the Fozgometer.
128x128czapp
Madfloyd,

The foz works as advertised, the problem is quality control from whomever is building them for fosgate.

As stated above check to make sure the lugs for the meter are not shorting to the chassis. Mine was like this when received it, you could just insulate with electrical tape as a short term fix or put a dremel to the lugs like I did.

Another control issue, this is something you will need to do now is recalibrate since you played with the trimmers, is that between the two that I have had on hand to use one was not claibrated correctly from the factory.

See this link for the download and how to

http://www.musicalsurroundings.com/fozgometer.html

and this one for a copy of the manual.

http://www.musicalsurroundings.com/Manuals/manuals_fosg.html

When you get it working right try it straight from the tonearm. I used mine to measure a very low output mc with no problem.

When working it is a dream, the sligtest adjustment of the headshell makes a big differance.

Brad
Hi, Mauidj; the Fozgometer also uses a record and test tones to measure crosstalk and determine any adjustments needed to correct azimuth.

Brad, thanks for the post. The Fozgometer is being criticized by people that have never used it to set azimuth. And the complaints by people that have used it may or may not be related to how well the Fozgometer functions. I get the impression that 1) there may be cartridges that are at the limits of "acceptable tolerances" that are causing problems, 2) there MAY be some Fozgometers with quality control problems, and 3) some people may not be using the Fozgometer properly.

I agree with Lew that the documentation about, and the user guide for, the Fozgometer is minimal (probably intentional) and so speculation and the possiblity of user error is elevated.

Regards,
Tom
Hey Tom, agree the marketing, quality control and reports of users having problems have given this product a bad rap and rigtfully so.

To the spectators if you could see and work through the above you would be rewarded with a nice tool. Another thing is I would recommend using the recommended test LP due to it is cut hotter than others which should help with the readings.

Brad
Thanks, Ecir, for that insight about quality control. That plus the lack of a good owners manual goes a long way to explain all the consternated owners who have posted here and on Vinyl Asylum about problems with the Foz.