Vinyl reissues quality

I have purchased 10-12 rock/pop/female vocal vinyl reissues lately and the surface noise on about 30% of them is loud enough to be distracting. The surface noise isn't the occassional click and pop but ranges from a constant crackling to constant low roar almost like tape hiss. Cleaning helps some but does not solve the problem. I have LP's from my college days that are 30 years old and are quieter than the brand new 180 gram virgin vinyl reissues. Am I unlucky or are others experiencing the same?
sgunther
Ticks & pops I can live with But the crackling drives Me
mad. I have noticed that a higher percentage of new vinyl
is lacking in quality, I just received the latest double LP from Govt Mule & it is a huge let down, very compressed,& very noisy.

I have been meaning to try some of that mold release
cleaner If I can find some, (never tried before), maybe
that will diminish some of the noise on the new LP's
Thanks for the post ... I was getting ready to give up. I picked up a vintage Denon DP 62L in mint shape, a brand new Grado Gold cart and a ARC PH3 SE. I bought 6-7 new albums and the sound is not good. Clicks, pops, noise - I was very dissapointed. I cant seem to find the vinyl sweet spot. I cant believe it but my digital front end sounds much better. I was getting ready to go down the "NOS tube" road and I'm looking at a Sumiko Blackbird as I was told it's a good match. I am not willing to do this if I cant get a reliable source. It kills me that with all the advances in technology since the 70's we cant get albums at the same or better quality. It's not like there isnt a market ... I just noticed vinyl for sale in my local Fred Meyers store which is basically a Wallmart. I am now looking at Mofi releases at $30 which is do-able but I am hoping the quality is there. I guess I need to upgrade the old D4 cleaning system for a more intense system? I am running out of room for "stuff" but I'm too far down the road to give up. It's nice to know I am not the only one experiencing this quality problem. I too am not too concerned with an occational click or pop but the level of noise and the lack of dynamics has me wondering if I will get where I am going.
Horseface,

Okay, here is my advice:

1. Buy a cheap (and if possible, used) vacuum Record Cleaning Machine (RCM). A Nitty Gritty (or its cousin, the Record Doctor), both work fine as a vacuum drying device. (A VPI works great too, but it is much larger and takes up more room, and can't be moved or stored as easily as a Nitty Gritty type, but they look better, more like fine furniture.) A DIY kit is also available, but I have no experience with that. (Warning, these types do tend to be fairly loud, as vacuums typically are loud.) Costs will be a couple hundred bucks if bought used, a few hundred if bought new.

2. Buy a couple of Disk Doctor, or Mobile Fidelity, (MoFi) cleaning brushes and some good cleaning fluid, (I recommend MoFi's Super Record Wash). (For used, dirty records, I use their Super Deep Cleaner, followed by the Super Record Wash.) Also buy a carbon fiber brush, as you'll use it EVERY time prior to playing records. Costs will be about $50 - 100.

3. Hand clean the record using the fluid and the brushes, and then vacuum them dry on the RCM, (one side at a time). Do this with all your records, even the new ones. This will go a long way towards getting rid of those little ticks and pops. You should only need to wet clean a record once, and from then on, you should typically only need to use the carbon fiber brush prior to playing an album side.

4. Also, buy some good plastic inner sleeves, (the MoFi sleeves work well), so that you don't EVER use paper sleeves again. (I also use outer sleeves to reduce wear and tear on the record sleeve, but that is not necessary to acheiving good sound, (merely good looks!)

5. Buy a stylus cleaner and brush, (a lot of people recommend the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, but I've never tried it myself). I use MoFi LP No. 9, and it seems to work fairly well. Use the stylus cleaner at least once prior to each listening session. (Some people clean their stylus after each side, which seems a bit overkill to me. However, different strokes, as they say. I find that since I clean all my vinyl prior to playing it, that my stylus seems to stay cleaner, longer.) Cost is about $20.

Doing all of this will help to improve the sonics of your vinyl, and hence your enjoyment level should go up. However, if you deem this just too damn much work, (and some people do, which is fine), just go back to digital and be happy, and let the rest of us be slaves to our record playing rituals! ;-)

My two cents worth, and Good Luck!

PS In going back over this email, I notice it looks like I am shilling for MoFi by my recommendations, but to be honest, it is just a coincidence that I use their products as I buy from Music Direct a lot, and they sell MoFi products. (FYI, I use, and prefer, the Disk Doctor brushes, as I find them to easier to handle, as they are slightly smaller than the MoFi brushes. But the MoFi brushes are cheaper, I believe.) As you can tell, I am a cheap bastard, and so I use the most cost efficient cleaning supplies and equipment that I can find. ;-)