Fozgometer?

Just yesterday read in Stereophile about this new tool for setting azimuth electrically. Sounds interesting, but also IMO is slightly borderline for myself to decide whether the cost ($250) would justify buying such a tool?

Downside with myself, is my Arm is not adjustable in azimuth, unless I maybe throw a Pipe Wrench on the Armtube?

Still, would be interesting to get other's opinions, and hopefully soon, some user's accounts of such a tool? Mark
markd51
"Mechanical" azimuth alignment is the only way to go if your arm has the capability!

The diamond needs to be "visually" aligned.

Set the diamond on a CD and look "head on" at the reflection of the tip, for correct azimuth alignment.

The electrical "balance" (output in each channel) of a cartridge is almost never exact. You need to adjust the balance control for the proper centering of the image after azimuth is set.

The "fozgometer" is BS!
Restock, Wouldn't the soundcard in your laptop need to be calibrated to provide an accurate measurement? I know that some room measuring software, such as REW, requires that your soundcard be calibrated in order to provide an accurate measurement.
Dear Don_c55, You may be correct that as far as the stylus is concerned it is best off being centered in the groove, but this is by no means an assurance that azimuth is thereby optimal. The coils and motor of the cartridge can easily and often be out of line with the stylus tip. Also, you are correct in implying that azimuth adjustment is not the way to set balance. (Indeed, azimuth has little effect on balance, anyway.) But as far as I can tell from reading about it, the Fozgometer is not BS; sounds like it really works. There are many bogus devices for sale in the audio marketplace, but the Foz comes from a very reputable and old line audio source. Chances are the guy who designed it and sells it knows more about the problem than you do. Be humble.
Don_c55,

The electrical "balance" (output in each channel) of a cartridge is almost never exact. You need to adjust the balance control for the proper centering of the image after azimuth is set.

Both the Fozgo and the spectrum analyzer method does not adjust for "Balance" but for "Crosstalk". Crosstalk is the only correct way to tell 1-2 degree accuracy of azimuth alignment for the cartridge.