Are linear tracking arms better than pivoted arms?

My answer to this question is yes. Linear tracking arms trace the record exactly the way it was cut. Pivoted arms generally have two null points across the record and they are the only two points the geometry is correct. All other points on the record have a degree of error with pivoted arms. Linear tracking arms don't need anti-skating like pivoted arms do which is another plus for them.

Linear tracking arms take more skill to set up initially, but I feel they reward the owner with superior sound quality. I have owned and used a variety of pivoted arms over the years, but I feel that my ET-2 is superior sounding to all of them. You can set up a pivoted arm incorrectly and it will still play music. Linear tracking arms pretty much force you to have everything correct or else they will not play. Are they worth the fuss? I think so.
mepearson
Don't you think we should open up two new threads: one for the Talea (wonder anyway why this hasn't been done yet...) and one for the Thales.....?
Thanks, Dertonarm, for the tip about the blue tack. I will definitely try this, but first I need to find a version of this product that is not black, not blue!
Best wishes,
Interesting comments from Arthur Salvatore in my quest to learn more about the issues of stress put on by the different types of tonearms. I will point out that once i had a better understanding of the issue, i can not disagree with the principles of moving mass of a tone arm system and the impact on the stylus (since that is where the force is applied as the grooves modulate the stylus (music) and as the grooves spiral inward leads the stylus and arm toward the center of the record. The question is whether the differences in forces between the two types of systems will result in premature fatigue on the cartridge and do the fundamental differences impact the sound. As some of you know, Arthur has a website that compares many types of equipment and has compiled his (and associates) ratings by category of the various components. His experience is not the end authority, but another data point as is everyone who contributes to this site. I will point out that he is a long time proponent of the forsell turntable which has an airbearing linear arm. However, His knowledge and wide experiences does IMHO lend credence to his assessments. That being said, his comments were that in his experience and experience of his associates that cartridge life was not impacted by this issue. He went on to state that he has personal experience of one cartridge that lasted over 10 years without a performance problem and he has never experienced a deflected cantilever from use of his linear tone arm. He did say he would do an informal discussion with some of his associates that use both style of arms including the triplanar which he rates as a very high quality arm approaching the performance of the Forsell; Kuzma and airtangent arms. Again, this is not the end statement in performance but does bring a different perspective from someone with significant experience.
Darkmoebius, Thales armshell plate is driven by yoke only in vertical plane (top view on LP); it rocks in horizontal plane together with armtube, as much as any conventinal gimbal arm does (note another small horizontal pivot just behind the shell). I like the recent and more elegant implementation (Simplicity) better; I only wonder if the whole arm torsional rigidity is not compromized too much by a tetragon mechanism.
What is the effective mass of the Thales? Seems as if it would be very high.