M2Tech HiFace - using it? Like it?

On the Tweak Geek website this little gizmo looks pretty slick and a much simpler way of converting USB to SPDIF. My Pop Pulse does the same thing but it is bulky (by comparison) and the USB capability is terrible at 44/16 max. BTW I use a Mac Pro and iTunes.

If you are using the M2Tech I would appreciate your feedback.
puerto
In a forum somewhere online, I saw the modder's assessment of a 95% boost to performance. making it nearly twice as good. maybe. Maybe not.

Mine is still running in and I'm quite happy with the results that continue to be revealed. I'm thinking it is about done though, or it'll be awile for changes to come now, or they'll be quite subtle. The Oyaide T510 continues to provide smiles as well.

I've better uses currently for $200 than to fool around with what is doing me a great service already.
All I can say is... if you like what the hiFace did for your system, you will love what jkeny's mod adds to the performance. I was spellbound by the improvement; as was the wife. The mod takes the hiFaces clarity and smoothes it out --- digititis is removed. Incredible detail. Very analog sounding.

I'm not a reviewer, but suffice to say that my system never has sounded better.

Unfortunately, it only lasted 4 to 5 hours. The first time I attempted to charge the 3.3V batteries, the 6 amp charger (jkeny's recommended unit) fried the power switch. Game over. He has since removed his recommendation.

The unit is on its way back to Ireland. In spite of my disappointment, John Kenny answered every email within a very short time and patiently helped me troubleshoot the issue at hand.

To be contiuned...
You are correct Cdm, John Kenny is quick to respond to E-Mails. Addressing your charger issue - I noticed on his website that he recommends not using any charger that puts out more than 3A in the charging mode. (initially it said 2A but that was an error that he is correcting). I am packaging up my HiFace today for shipment to him and was greatly encouraged by your comments. The original HiFace did wonders for my system as well. Did you get the "box package" with his modified USB cable?

Thanks for the update!

Have any of you seen the outline of the new 'Evo' from M2T yet?

the info I saw at head Fi (?) said...

it's an aluminum box outfit now.
USB fed still, but with it's own power supply now, and an aux input for a master clock, SPDIF, TOS, & BNC OUTPUTS.

so a better regulated and higher pwoer sup, the option for adding another clock and more interfaces.

For about $300. Supposedly ships in July this year.

???

it seems this addresses both the Kenny mod, better colcking, and more flexibility interfacing to other DACs... for about what the Hiface 192 + the Kinney mod does, but more...

Hmmmm.
I suspect this will never end as more manufacturers get on the band wagon. The answer seems to be, pick your product, like it, live with it.

The new one that Blindjim refers to has options that I would never use but will no doubt be an awesome little gizmo.