Turnable Rack Vibration

Hi,
I recently moved my Audio equipment to a VTI rack system. As part of the change by Linn LP12 moved from a Target wall shelf to the top shelf of the VTI.
The move has made the turntable far more susceptible to floor and foot fall vibrations... disappointingly and annoying so.
I would like some recommendations on effective vibration isolation for the turntable chassis. I have a 1/2" slab of granite that i am thinking of placing the turntable on and separating the granite from the top shelf of the rack with a series of isolators.
Has anyone had experience with this setup and what isolators would they recommend?
Of course i am also open to any other suggestions on how to best isolate the top shelf for the rest of the components.

Thanks
Neil
extra_action
"Dan, for what it's worth (and I've been using Target wall shelves since 1990 ;--) one of the best (and easiest) mods one can make to the MDF shelf that comes with the unit is to make a "constrained layer" damped shelf out of it. Start with a second sheet of denser material the same size as the MDF shelf. I use 1/4" glass, but you can use Corian, acrylic, granite, aluminum -- whatever, as long as it's a harder than the MDF. Then get a sheet of 1/8" - 3/16" thick (maximum) dense foam or sheet sorbothane. Spray the bottom surface of the MDF and one surface of the second material with 3M 88 Spray Adhesive and press the sandwich together, place it on a flat surface and set a couple of cinder blocks, side-by-side on top for 8 hours (you want the adhesive to dry out under pressure!) You now have one of the best constrained layer damping systems in the world! If you can use spikes under your TT, that will increase performance even further."

Nsgarch: Thanks very much for posting this. As I mentioned earlier, I have an older style Target wall mount that I acquired recently. The MDF shelf was warped and I've never been fond of MDF on its own anyway so ended up buying an appropriate sized piece of 3/4" baltic birch at first before experimenting with extruded acrylic as a shelf (using a Michell Gyrodec).

The acrylic had much better sound quality than the baltic birch but the plastics fabricator sold me a 3/8" inch thick piece when I probably should have gone for 5/8". In any event, the 3/8" flexed a bit under the weight of the Gryo which I was not super comfortable with.

I've always really wanted a Neuance shelf, but alas, Ken Lyon is no longer producing them, so after reading your post above I went out to an upholstery shop to seek out some high density foam. Ended up with 1/8" high density neoprene foam (it can actually be rolled up very tightly and will stay that way, almost like a piece of fabric) and then bought a piece of 3/8" baltic birch. I bought adhesive but actually never used it. The configuration is table, 3/8" acrylic, neoprene foam, 3/8" baltic birch onto the spikes of the target wall mount (metal blanks under the baltic birch at spike points).

My "sag" with the acrylic on its own has been eliminated; I was a bit surprised at the improvement in sound quality. The "constrained layer" shelf is definitely doing its job. Improved high and low frequency performance and a much more transparent and natural sounding midrange. The key words are natural sounding. The baltic birch on its own, as well as higher mass phenolic shevling were a bad match with my Gryo, "enhancing" detail but at the same time considerably hardening up the sound. Glass, marble and granite on their own all have similar, even nastier qualities.

In short, $10 for the neoprene high density foam and another $10 for the baltic birch combined with the acrylic I already had have worked together to make a very good shelf.

Thanks for the info.
HDM, it's very nice of you to confirm my advice ;--) I'd further suggest that you get a thicker piece of acrylic (definitely 5/8 or even 3/4), and do bond the sandwich together under pressure. If you do that, then try flipping the sandwich over (birch on top thicker acrylic on the bottom) and see which you like best. Not saying that it will be better (having the birch on the bottom right now may offer just a little more flex resistance when using it with just the 3/8 thick acrylic) ) but I always say (especially with audio), "Leave no turn un-stoned!" ;--)
Nsgarch has been right in everything he has suggested.

The constrained-layer-damping is a nice touch and will certainly avoid any possible feedback problems into the shelf itself, but once you have your turntable on spikes, on a properly executed wall-hung shelf, 95% of all Structure-Bourne feedback (the real killer in audio) will be eliminated.
It helps to have metal supports from the wall and timber or timber/combination for your damped shelving.

Air-Bourne feedback is resolved in the design of the turntable/arm/cartridge themselves and will rarely be a problem if SBF is eliminated.