Question regarding reputation of SOTA tables

I'm a SOTA Sapphire owner. I've noticed that Stereophile and Absolute Sound never mention SOTA tables. Reviewers don't appear to own them nor are SOTAs ever on the "recommended" list of components. Are SOTAs that poor of a table? What gives?
rockyboy
I bought a brand new SOTA Nova about a year ago. It is a GREAT turntable, especially with an SME 309, and I have no desire for change. It's everything I need in a turntable.
Exactly how have the SOTAs been superceded? They were innovative at the time (saphire thrust plate, inverted bearing, easily tuned suspension), but it's only been recently that other manufacturers have caught up.

What makes them "so '80's?"
Sorry, that was a bit snarky sounding. What I should have politely said was, I listened to Sotas quite a bit in the 80's when they were prominent, and I always found them lacking musically, I suppose boring, or not being able to pull the music off the platter. There were better tables, musically, then for the same or less money, and I still find that to be the same. If you have one and like it, then by all means enjoy. It matters not to me about the design or looks, which are fine, I only care about its music making abilities.
Chas
Chas, I used to sell Sota during the '80s and '90s. I agree, they didn't always float my boat either. But the new owners of Sota have made a number of mods to the tables since then and I beleive they have addressed many (if not all) of the earlier issues. Do you really think it's fair to judge a current product based upon what you remember from 30 years ago?
I owned a Sota Star Sapphire Series III (with vacuum) for most of the 1990s. It was an excellent table. However, there are now better ones available, IMO. Among those that are superior, I would include the Sota Cosmos and Millenium. I think they've come a long way, as have some of the other manufacturers. Moreover, they take good care of their customers and have done so for quite a long time.

Anyway, if you like what you have and are satisfied, lack of the occasional mention in one of those magazines you mention should hardly deter you from enjoying it.