High Mass Tonearms and Cartridge Matching

Good day all. Can I get some feedback from anyone who is using tonearms in the 16 to 20 gram weight regarding what cartridges work well. I have just purchased a Jelco SA-750D and thinking about a moving coil cartridge. However, I don't want to rule out outstand MM cartridges. Please share the following:

1. What cartridge are you using?
2. How did you make the decision to purchase?
3. What records, if any, did you take for the listening session?

Here is my listening pleasure>

a. Jazz that features singers, small and big bands.
b. Classical music, small groups and large orchestras. In particular I love small and large scale choral music. I also love most of Bach's music written for the violin, viola, cello, organ and harpischord.
c. I also listen to Earth Wind & Fire, Joan Baez, Bread, Simon and Garfuncle, and others in this vein of music.

I love a big, bold but clear presentation from my audio system. I want to be able to hear the width and height of the music presented. I also love:

1. Excellent transients
2. Excellent mids, highs and low end with great weight
3. Excellent bloom and decay of the music
4, Top-notch soundstaging with plenty of front to back presentation with the ability to permit me to see in and around instruments and/or musicians

My Music System As It Is Presently:

a. Upgraded (caps/resistors) Classe DR-5 with MM & MC inputs.
b. Upgraded Theshold S/300 power amp.
c. Upgraded Parasound C/BD 2000 belt drive CD player & DAC.
d. New home built plinth using the bearing and platter from my old Elite Rock Cranfield turntable.
e. Jelco SA-750D tonearm
f. OM-9 floor standing speakers (great sound) for now. I plan to replace these with 1.6 Maggies or Eminent Tech floor standing planar speakers.
g. Upgraded cables and inter-connects.
h. Technic 1506 (2/4track) and Tascam 32-2B (2track) reel to reel tape decks.

Right now it appears that I am restricted to low compliance cartridges until I can find a way to reduce the tonearm mass in order to expand cartridge choices. I will be looking for lower weight head shells. Anyone who has solved this problem please convey your thoughts and experiences as well. Thanks all for your time and responses.

Bob
rbwinterlink
Jeff_jones
y.s.:
>> The compliance number you get from a cart supplier is typically just static sag in the vertical plane <<

If a manufacturer quotes 'dynamic' compliance at 10Hz or as the Japanese mostly do at 100Hz, I dare say it is something other than 'static' compliance, yes?

The other thing to remember is to know, if dynamic compliance is quoted at 10Hz OR 100Hz. In case of the latter, the 100Hz figure should be multiplied a factor of 1.5 to 2 and only THEN would it make sense to work out the resonance frequency of the cart&arm.
Greetings,
Axelwahl - "If a manufacturer quotes 'dynamic' compliance at 10Hz or as the Japanese mostly do at 100Hz, I dare say it is something other than 'static' compliance, yes?"

Yes. Would be interesting to find details of their measurement methods & also to see if the different vendors are giving us apples to apples dynamic compliance measurements. I struck out on a websearch beyond noting that you were correct.
Anybody know if:
1. There is a standardized dynamic compliance measurement method? Does this include some amount of pre-stress on the cart (i.e. does it account for any loosening up after break in)?
2. When comparing cart compliance specs in catalogs is it safe to assume that the number given is static compliance measurement if "dynamic compliance at xx hz" is not specifically stated?

Being a bit of a cynic (ok much more than a bit when it comes to audio)I tend to wonder if the number sometimes comes about as "Ok this one seems pretty stiff lets call it a nine" kind of thing.