Establishing a common analog listening bias

Maybe it is possible to establish a widely accepted common ground in terms of listening bias by choosing and agreeing on 10-30 LPs all readily available new to all audiophiles for decent price.
If all listening tests and personal comments regarding the sound of components and systems in the various threads and posts would refer to any of these LPs mainly, everyones comments and experiences would much easier be understood by their fellow Audiogoners.

How about an "Audiogon baker's double-dozen"?

This would create a solid ground for all of us.

How do you think about this ?
dertonarm
Dear Tubetan, Headsnappin, Nilthepill ...... it doesn't matter and we do not need anyone telling us the sound on any specific record is this, that and those.

All this is to have the one single common piece in all systems - the record on the platter.
It is all about RELATIVE comparism and the option to discuss sonic differences with at least one common ground in the discussion.

It will always differ - regarding size of soundstage, low level detail, timbre, coloration, saturation of tone color, dynamics, impact and a few dozen other asoects.

This is not the point.

One some systems there will be "more" on some systems there will be "less".
In any case, you will know the difference is NOT the software - ergo:......

What do you want? Someone telling you that this and that is there on a particular record? This was done in legions in the 1980ies and 1990ies by several writers of the absolute sound and others. Did it help you at all?

Those descriptions were usually done with vintage pressings certainly not available to all.

It seems to me that it is almost impossible to explain to some people the intend behind this and the idea of a common - yet not fixed in all parameters - ground building on the software used to made a sonic review or description.

Its the same as if agreeing on a common language to be used to communicate.

My god........

Well then, ....... it seems again,- as always in audiophile community: no common ground possible - no matter how tiny.

It seems too, that many prefer to talk into and out of the blue with no real connection to anyone else - that way we all can enjoy the illusion that what we have set-up at home is great, outstanding, the best, whatever.

Still better to link sound or the idea of sound to components listed in virtual space............... that way the "acid test" (see Halcro what I mean....- now isn't that a great joke in itself !) will never happen and no one has to face it - even if only by himself.
Great.

Yes Halcro, - it seems indeed that most people do prefer to keep all things in the nebula. Might well be that some do fear the moments when it becomes apparent that what they hear on their system is not what other tell about that specific record. Even if only they themself will ever realize.

Apparently, - the longing for light isn't the same in all people.

Can't even agree on a language to be used......
Dertonarm, I said earlier some people might be frightened by what they hear from there system, but that is always the case with change. I think this common ground is great, if you dont want to participate, stay out, but I think it would be extremely interesting to hear what other people hear(of course people can lie) when they listen to a record on there system, so I can compare how I experience it. Maybe I can gain some knowledge and if not I at least get to know a couple of new records.
Dertonarm please keep the other suggestions coming. I managed to find the first three on SACD as well.
Dear Perrew, you were/are right - I agree.
I will continue with my suggestions and if we can establish at least a group of interested A'goners (guess you, Halcro, Siltskin, Axelwahl, Syntax and a few others including myself... and maybe several more not yet posting in this thread but watching) are interested and do see the full possibilities of this common ground.
Great if most of the recording are available tooon either CD or SACD .
Most will be available in the upcoming years as HD-download with much higher data than on CD or SACD.
Thats why I am concentrating on timeless "classics", as they will be around forever - as time has already proofed the past 50 years.
My Classic suggestions to be added on saturday and Rock/Pop Sunday.
Please feel invited to add suggestions of your own for any of the categories.
Thank you,
D.
How! Perrew
Tool ------- oh yeah!?
Cool, but then by any chance to make this THE one on HDCD also: "LATERALUS"

Wanna blow my head off, why not :-)
Axel