Establishing a common analog listening bias

Maybe it is possible to establish a widely accepted common ground in terms of listening bias by choosing and agreeing on 10-30 LPs all readily available new to all audiophiles for decent price.
If all listening tests and personal comments regarding the sound of components and systems in the various threads and posts would refer to any of these LPs mainly, everyones comments and experiences would much easier be understood by their fellow Audiogoners.

How about an "Audiogon baker's double-dozen"?

This would create a solid ground for all of us.

How do you think about this ?
dertonarm
Dertonarm,

I think this is a very good proposal, many times when Ive read a review(not just magazine reviews) Ive picked up the record mentioned and tried to listen for the described section and see how my own system handled the described piece.
Although I think this might be scary for some when they realize what their system does or doesnt do.
Dear all, a suggestion for a guidline/some ruling:

***may everybody interest to do so suggest 3 records.
All these records MUST be excellent recordings and all these records MUST be ready avaliable as re-issues or current pressing through retail stores or online merchants like Acoustic Sounds or similar (in other words: everybody has access to them). If the music has a universal appeal - it makes things easier to agree for most people.
For instance: I think a record like Muddy Waters: "Folk Singer" will find wide spread approval.
I would as another exmaple vote for R. Frühbeck de Burgos "Suite Espanola" on Decca SXL 6355 as an outstanding exmaple of a very dynamic orchestra with extreme live-like soundstage, shocking dynamics, subtle shaded colors and "breath", presence and a superb illusion of "being there".
Its readily available as re-issue from Speakers Corner for fairly low money.
This one belongs to the 10 best orchestra recordings ever made and features a wonderful suite of transcriptions for Orchestra from Issac Albeniz' Suite Espanola. The transcriptions were made by the conductor - so we are looking at a "definite" recording in all ways.

You are invited for suggestions.
Please keep in mind that we do need indeed most - if not all - aspects of music covered AND great quality in terms of the recorded sound.

Thank you, D.
Hi,
yes, I guess we need an attempt to 'level the paying field' (pun intended).

"Folk Singer" as mentioned, also some possible synergy with digital, yes?

Now, 'Folk Singer' on UltradiscII UDCD 593 STEREO sounds very good, so it does on CHESS records HDR 1001, yet a typical item to be in favour of vinyl, in my system.

B U T, now lets look at some others:
- 'Sometin' ELSE' on UltradiscII UDCD563 sounds crap, to put it bluntly.

- 'Kind of Blue' Columbia COL 4606032 (CD, prod. by Teo Macero) is just as bad, and makes me wonder what everyone would want to rave about? Yet, having heard some more recent re-mastering, it's much better.
(Surely it must have been re-master 1 million time by now...)

Artistic performance is somethin' else :-) but NOT the sound of it. We will have those issues to 'weed out' else we are headed for some chaos.

One more for 'flavouring' is DECCA SXL 2248 'La Boheme'. I have the DECCA 'wide silver band', alas made in SA!
No idea if the 'Made in England' item is any better as far as plain old groove noise and tape hiss goes?

It is VERRRY dynamic and in places wants to dismantle your drivers! Horrific test for massed instruments, voice(s) et al. But as I said, groove noise --- bad news in deed.

Axel
Dear All, again:

- only CURRENT available NEW records.
NO vintage first pressings - NO super limited edition high-price reissues (4-set 45 rpm etc).
It is NOT going for the absolute best sonic version, but for a common base.
We need an easy available to everyone for NORMAL price record.
If the recording is available on CD too ( even if that medium is dead and gone by 2011.....) - even better.

Cheers,
D.