Seeking turntable upgrade advice

My current table is a Scoutmaster with JMW9 sig tonearm and all the typical VPI upgrades; my cartridge is a Dynavector XV-1s.

I have been considering an SME table (and possibly a SME V arm) but I like the concept of adjusting VTA on the fly. Between that and wanting to use a Mint tractor (I understand SME arms complicate the measurements required to get a Mint), I decided to get a Tri-planar arm instead.

So, what’s a good table to go with a Tri-planar and XV-1s? Would an SME still be a good candidate? What about an Amazon Reference? Anything else?

Thanks in advance.
madfloyd
... while the 265 may be step down from the Galibier, Reven, your 320 (and maybe SME?), would it still be a step up from my Scoutmaster considering it allows me to change the tonearm?
Yes, I'd say so.

Being able to use a TriPlanar is a notable step up.

Resonance control will be better. We never had your "ringing" with our 265. The 320 provides even blacker backgrounds, but the 265's no slouch.

The motor is good, though not quite as quiet or as powerful through transients as our Reference II motor. (There were QC problems from the motor supplier on some Reference II's, one reason Chris doesn't sell 320's any longer.)

If you go with any Teres or Galibier belt drive, the belt we use is a huge improvement over the stock belt. Also, last week we found a $60 tweak to the battery power that makes a major improvement in both background noise and dynamics. Our system now sounds notably better than what you heard.

Speaking of cheap but effective tweaks, I agree with Thom. You're going so fast (fun though it may be) that you're missing chances to learn. Example: you sold the Alaap largely because its harmonic richness overpowered other components (apparently including the VPI). We both know that wasn't the Alaap's "fault", and when you get a non-ringy table you may miss it. You'll never know how good it would have sounded (unless you buy another one). I'm not suggesting you have to like the same preamp I do. I'm suggesting you have no real idea whether you'd have liked it or not. All you know is that it showed up minor flaws in a pretty good vinyl rig in a major way, and that it doesn't do so with other rigs.

Upgrade one thing at a time, and don't upgrade it again until you're sure its a WEAK link. Take time to learn what your components can (and can't) do.

Care to guess how many TT's, tonearms, preamps, amps, wire and speakers we've had in six years? Just two of each, roughly one major component upgrade every six months. There've been a zillion minor tweaks in between, many of which have provided improvements as big as any component change (like our new battery charger). But those tweaks would never have happened if we'd been swapping gear so fast we didn't have time to understand it.
Thanks for the reply, Doug.

The reason I was considering a 265 is because I know someone who is selling one used. However, I have followed up on Ebm's suggestion to contact Highwater Sound and I was extremely impressed with Jef. I'm thinking that seeking out a TW Acustic Raven One may be a better overall purchase.

(thanks, Ebm!)
Ian,
Might I suggest a trip to NYC to audition the TW tables? I'm doing that in just a couple weeks. Jeff is very helpful with your needs. Don't write off a trip to Boulder to listen to the Galibiers( and Teres if you wish). I'm doing that as well. Judging from the components you've tried, I'd guess budget is not the problem for you that it is for most. You owe it to yourself(and the makers of these great tables)to be patient and hear them out. As an example, my timetable is 4th quarter 2009. In the end, you'll find what you like and get off the merry-go-round.
I might be close minded here, but I'm not convinced that you can compare tables when they're in completely different rooms and systems. How much of the character of what you're hearing is the table versus other components including cartridge etc. I wouldn't be able to process all that.

I really like hearing and getting to know a component in my own system.

I took the plunge and purchased a TW Acustic. I'm confident that I'll be getting a good table and I should be satisfied given it'll be a serious upgrade from what I'm currently listening to. The bonus is that I'll have it very soon and have great dealer support.
Madfloyd said, "Having changed every component in the past 3 months (including cabling, power conditioning) it’s resolving to the point that I can finally hear differences in cables and......."

THEN HE SAID

"I might be close minded here, but I'm not convinced that you can compare tables when they're in completely different rooms and systems. How much of the character of what you're hearing is the table versus other components including cartridge etc. I wouldn't be able to process all that."

Isn't that what you just did at home?

My guess is that you could spend a million dollars on a turntable and you could not get it to sound good.

Bob