The correct internal-inductance of Windfeld cart.?

What (on earth) is the correct internal-inductance of the Ortofon Peer Windfeld cartridge?

They made a mistake in the brochure about the loading impedance: it says >10k but should read >10 ohms. This was admitted by the factory's techies.

The brochure also says internal-inductance: 700 mH !!!
This you would expect from an MM cart. Was this also a factor 1 000 error? I can not find ANY help on the web to clear this up. Can any one help?
axelwahl
Jonathan, You are correct. I just did not want to go into great detail on Dave's qualifications.
Blow my mind!
1) good to know, we have only sincere value seekers going on in thread. I'm genuinely relieved.

2) I must be getting confused between the different participants? If that is so, my sincere apology.

3) Why didn’t Dave step up to the plate and tell me he is a SUT manufacturer, maybe he thinks we all know this? Well, as you can see – I didn’t.

4) To boil all this down, there is actually ONE, and only ONE simple disagreement here, that I can see.

- Can a cart be generating more current when it operates into a lower impedance.

- Dave (our SUT Man) vehemently defends, that by the “First principle of Thermodynamics” that is in NOT POSSIBLE, and that therefore the term “current mode” (not my own as I also stated before) is NONSENSE to put it simple.

- Everything else that’s been said and argued here, always came back to this difference in our understanding. He maintains a cart has a ‘fixed’ Voltage AND a fixed Current.

- So who’s got it wrong?

- Can we maybe agree that a GENERATOR, when demanded to operate into a lower impedance CAN deliver more current? If NOT, the voltage would drop and the light go out? If that is not the case then I am truly misinformed.

- Next, is the question what happens if we ‘down-load’ a cartridge (no SUT involved)? We lower the phono-pre’s input impedance from 47k to what ever our parallel resistor we picked will produce i.e. Rpre * Rload / (Rpre+Rload); just to make sure we are still on the same page, I know it’s what (most) everyone knows or at should know.

- Now we get back to the current issue. What will happen in that cart coil?! Will the current drop? Stay constant? Or rise? Remember we are talking about DAMPING the cart. So how does that damping work? How do we damp an e.g. woofer coil? By making MORE current available due to a higher ‘damping factor’ of an amp i.e. nothing else than simply having a MUCH lower output impedance for that amp, so it is less ‘resistive’ to the flow of current. Can we agree on that! If not, --- well let’s see.

- So damping happens, if MORE, and not LESS current runs through a coil – it kind of ‘clamps’ it – as is often said, so as not to perform to its own ‘inclinations’.

- Back to the cart. We ALSO have seen a impedance lower than 47k is used for damping a cart (some MC carts are fine with 47k since they provide their own version of damping) So we ‘clamp’ it down and thereby not let it have it’s own behaviour and go wild from 10 – 12kHz on until it has to finally roll-off.

- So now back to my point with Dave. Given the cart is down-loaded, can it produce more current-output or not? If it can not --- how then will it be damped?

Let’s just leave there and see where this takes us.

Greetings,
Axel
:-) T_bone,
heck, there is someone that seems to enjoy this, hm - kicking cans...
Makes it all worth it now, doesn’t it?
Thank you for sharing,
Axel
3) Why didn’t Dave step up to the plate and tell me he is a SUT manufacturer, maybe he thinks we all know this? Well, as you can see – I didn’t.

I didn't know it was expected. Many forums frown upon manufacturers hawking their wares so I simply used my company name as my moniker. If anyone here thinks me not disclosing my industry nature was inappropriate, I apologize since the last thing I want to appear as is a "sock puppet". The idea that I wind transformers has nothing to do with my perceived technical inaccuracies in your posts which is the only thing I have responded to. If you want to go back point by point to clear up any possible misunderstandings I may have had, I'll gladly have that discussion. I specifically asked you to properly quote me since many of your comments attributed to me are improper interpretations of my intent.

enough of that, now onto the meat of your post.

- Can a cart be generating more current when it operates into a lower impedance.

Absolutely, it is a simple oms law thing from the first order perspective. This isn't even worth discussion and hasn't ever been something I have disagreed with.

- Dave (our SUT Man) vehemently defends, that by the “First principle of Thermodynamics” that is in NOT POSSIBLE, and that therefore the term “current mode” (not my own as I also stated before) is NONSENSE to put it simple.

I simply used the first law of thermodynamics to state that a SUT cannot increase both voltage and current at the same time since that would increase power. Of course an increase of voltage into a fixed load will increase current but I did not interpret your writings as saying such. If I misunderstood your intent the proper response would have been to discuss the topic on point with proper quoting so we could clear up the misunderstanding.

He maintains a cart has a ‘fixed’ Voltage AND a fixed Current.

I have not suggested this. With both fixed voltage and current, there could be no AC (music).

The only thing I have taken issue with is your insistence that a SUT is required to make a Cartridge operate in "current mode". If you carefully read back through every post I have made in this topic, I hope that will be clear. If it isn't clear, tell me and I'll try to be more lucid in the future.

dave