Tracking error distortion audibility

I recently unpacked my turntable from a couple of years of storage. It still sounds very good. Several times during playback of the first few albums I literally jumped from my chair to see which track was playing as it sounded so great. After a while I realized the "great" sound was always at one of the "null" points. They seem to occur at the approximately the proper place (about 125mm from spindle) and near the lead out groove. Questions:
Is this common? I have improved the resolution of my system since the table's been in storage but I don't remember hearing this before.
All others geometric sources of alignment error not defined by the null points (VTA, azimuth etc.) are essentially constant through out the arc correct? If so they should cancel out. I assume the remedy is a linear tracking arm but I am surprised at how obviously better the sound is at these two points.
Table - AR ES-1, Arm - Sumiko MMT, Cart. - Benz Glider, Pre - Audible Illusions, Speakers - Innersound electrostatic hybrid
Do linear arms really sound as good across the whole record as I hear at only the nulls with my set-up?
feathed
Hallo Herr Doctor,
Ich must geschimpfen!
Sending me on a wild goose-chase for your IEC-standard comments, eish!

None such that my searches will scratch out of this endless pandering stream of "Prices of oldskool tonearms"

Lots of FR tonearm info sure, (I happen to use a FR XF-1 type M SUT). Pitty they're dead and gone; but NOTHING like your mentioned IEC-standard stuff --- so,
say a, say b,
please let's have your take on all that DMM stuff etc.
You sound like you have worked for the "Pallas" (press-works, jawohl!)
Gruss,
Axel
Hi Herr Tonearm,
thanks for the offer re.: calling :-)
When I'm looking East (for long enough..) I'll see the Indian Ocean.
Methinks, that's gonna be too much phone-cost since we have no real discrepancy in perception anymore.
Ain't that something for a change.
That other thread is some 'free for all' and next they'll talk about who is better at soccer... no thanks.

Thank you for offering, I do appreciate your unquenchable enthusiasm, jolly good show, I say.

The remaining issue (for me only) is, if I want to change to another then the SME's alignment system --- maybe some day, we'll see. Meanwhile I'll have to stick to the IEC-standard that comes with that SME purchase.
Greetings from the Black-Continent.
Axel
Dear Axelwahl, all you are asking is explained during the course of the thread mentioned. You either have to keep on reading all through that thread or send me a direct email.
This is too much, to repeat all that was written in March during that sometimes very hot discussion in that thread.
Herr Tonearm,
I'm going to log out now, I see that we are for some reason out of sync. Your are still busy with my older responses. No problem. Thanks for the great detail offered.
Take care,
Axel
Hi Axelwahl, you should consider the MINT LP tractor. If you settle for one specific cartridge right now, it is well worth the investment - especially with a SME V. It does provide very good results and is easy and fast to use.