KAB 1200 vs. everything else.

A few weeks back I asked Kevin of KAB USA what price level a fully modded 1200 competes with, and he thought somewhere in the 4500-5000 dollar price range. His reasoning was that the business concentrates on romantic reproduction rather than technical reproduction. It sounded plausible, but I am pretty new to analog playback. What do you think of this claim--Cheers
jmoog08
Post removed 
Tvad, I just read through this thread , I am a little confused with some dollar figures mentioned for your table and cd player.
$6,500 cd player and $4500. for your table mentioned 12-25-08.
Is the $2500 and $1800. mentioned above used currant market value for your front ends?

Speaking for myself, putting all my effort into one play back format and sticking with it is best.
Post removed 
I think it's your APL-modded 3910 that is skewing the paradigm. I just read this A-gon review of it and it's obvious that this digital rig breaks all the conventional rules on what redbook playback sounds like. I got into LP playback because I auditioned a DSD-encoded SACD vs. the original LP when played back on a $5500 Linn player, and the LP smoked it. My LP playback rig is similar to yours except I stayed with the AT150MLX and use a humble Cambridge 640P and a homemade TT platform. Still, most digital playback under $10K doesn't tempt me. This Technics/AT rig has no trouble trumping my similarly priced Sony ES CD/SACD player.

So I think a significant element in your dilemma is that your digital source is an over-achiever, maybe even an anomaly among digital playback systems in its price range that upsets the conventional paradigm of digital vs. analog.